You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The most Annoying and Infuriating thing I find in Publisher

Is when you carry yout text cursor to a different page and you create a new text box, all the formatting from the previous text is carried with it.  I think a new text box should imply a default setting.  I made changes to a three worded paragraph using text styles, I happened also to have made changes to leading and horizontal scale seperately before I messed with text style.  Now I start a new text box and for the life of me can not reset the text cursor to anything that resembles normal text, even though I set text style to 'No Style' and tried to remember what other changes I made.  I must have done other thngs???  The point being I think a Default value should be applied at every new text box, and not carry previous formatting.  If we make paragraph styles then one click and we have our desired text cursor, and that should be sufficient, indesign re-sets to default in this manner.   Have managed to find all those pesky settings and can edit normally, but what a palava.

PS, just having a bad moment..............all is well

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

With your new text frame selected, I think that pushing image.png.c53387f1131f7d3af8cd4f307069bec9.png (Revert Defaults) should reset things for that frame as you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah Walt, I thought that Ghostbusters button reset the whole document to default, not just a text box.  I found a work around, I simply created a standard boring text font with 12 pt no formatting, gave it the name as Default, and saved that as a text style.:)

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

The revert button is documented as having two functions. With nothing selected it should revert all the styles to defaults. With something selected it just resets that object.

I haven't played with it much yet...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

ok Walt I will give it a go on a test doc.  Thankyou. Your tips tricks and wisdom are very much appreciated by me.  

On 10/13/2018 at 1:31 PM, walt.farrell said:

The revert button is documented as having two functions. With nothing selected it should revert all the styles to defaults. With something selected it just resets that object.

I haven't played with it much yet...

Hmmmm... that sounds pretty dangerous for a single control. I can see someone "selecting" something, or clicking on it and thinking they did, and rushing up to the icon and then... "DOH!@!"

SDLeary

I'd be happy  with an "Are you sure you want to reset the defaults for the entire document?" confirmation dialog if you click that button with nothing selected. It's not like this is something you should be doing frequently.