You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pale colors after export from Photo

Hi!

I have used Photo 1.6.7 for Mac OS 10.12.4 for 2,5 years and this the first time I run to this problem. This is a photo from a concert and when I export it to large jpeg-resolutions like 3000x2000 or larger the colors get pale. When I export the file to smaller resolutions like 1280x720 the colors match the ones in the application. Other photos from the concert works well in different resolutions. I have no idea what the problem is.

Skärmavbild 2018-10-13 kl. 20.14.40.png

What size is the original image?

Could this be a resampling issue if the image is smaller than 3000 x 2000 the additional pixels would make the colours less saturated?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

What size is the original image?

Could this be a resampling issue if the image is smaller than 3000 x 2000 the additional pixels would make the colours less saturated?

The original image is 6000x4000.

Are you using sRGB as the colour profile?

Also check Pixel Format isn't set to 8bit CMYK

2018-10-14_15-44-25.png.9f5cd0dbe51e2b1303d5eadbce422dfe.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

47 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Are you using sRGB as the colour profile?

Also check Pixel Format isn't set to 8bit CMYK

2018-10-14_15-44-25.png.9f5cd0dbe51e2b1303d5eadbce422dfe.png

Yes, everything there is in order. I copied the file again from the memory card and the result is the same. Even when I zoom in in Photo the colors change at 50% zoom or more but look alright below 50%. Even when I test it in a new document with no adjustions and export you can see the difference in colors. There is no problem with a similar photo I took outside as ypu can see. The one to the left is 6000x4000 and the one to the right is at 1280x720. Very strange!

Skärmavbild 2018-10-14 kl. 17.25.16.png

Skärmavbild 2018-10-14 kl. 17.27.10.png

Skärmavbild 2018-10-14 kl. 17.27.30.png

Skärmavbild 2018-10-14 kl. 17.13.42.png

Skärmavbild 2018-10-14 kl. 17.18.48.png

9 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi Homy and Welcome to the Forums,

Can't say i've ran into this before.  Would you be able to attach the .afphoto file or original image?  If need be i can always setup a Dropbox link.

Thanks! I couldn't send it via PM so a Dropbox link would be nice. I must add that when I open the image in Preview on my Mac the colors are right for a fraction of a second but change into pale when the image is fully loaded.

On 10/14/2018 at 8:37 AM, stokerg said:

Hi Homy and Welcome to the Forums,

Can't say i've ran into this before.  Would you be able to attach the .afphoto file or original image?  If need be i can always setup a Dropbox link

Very quiet here, what happened?

• Staff
24 minutes ago, Homy said:

Very quiet here, what happened?

Hi Homy,

Sorry for the delay, i've been covering Support on our older Plus range and not had much chance to get back to the forums.  I've created you a Dropbox link here :) 

• Staff

Well after looking into this some more it appears to be an issue with Apple Preview and how it's display the image.

If you open the same image you exported in say Google Chrome or another web browser, you'll see it appears fine.  Even opening it back up in Affinity and other image editing apps, it appeared fine. Moved the same image to my Windows machine and yup it opens fine.

So it appears to be something up with Apple Preview, as that's the only app i can replicate the problem in.

42 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Well after looking into this some more it appears to be an issue with Apple Preview and how it's display the image.

If you open the same image you exported in say Google Chrome or another web browser, you'll see it appears fine.  Even opening it back up in Affinity and other image editing apps, it appeared fine. Moved the same image to my Windows machine and yup it opens fine.

So it appears to be something up with Apple Preview, as that's the only app i can replicate the problem in.

Thanks for the effort! Very strange and even more strange that only this image is affected. Maybe you can report this to Apple. Have a nice day! :)