You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have Photo Plus 6. Should I get Affinity Photo?

I am using Affinity Designer and really love it. Occasionally I need crop, clone and the like that are not in Designer, so I drop back to my older Photo Plus 6.

Could anyone tell me if there enough of a difference between  Photo Plus 6 and Affinity Photo to warrant the upgrade? 

I don't do a lot with photography, I am more focused on 2d animation projects.

Thanks!

I am only giving my opinion since I plan to get affinity photo but am waiting for the divorce papers to come through from adobe photoshop.  I think that many people moving from adobe photoshop to affinity are happy and this in itself is a testimony in affinity's favour.  So for what it is worth , my feelings are .....

Photo plus 6 is 19 years old.  If you look at the changes in Photoshop since 1999, huge changes.  And now photo plus x9 is a far greater choice than photo plus 6 and it is only 30 euros, or 20 pounds wherever you live.    If nothing else I personally would recommend serif's X9, it will be so much better than 6.  However if you are using publisher or design from serif I would invest in affinity's photo to maintain compatibility and ease of use and time saving, you can not import from photo X9, let alone 6.  There will be a Humungous difference in photo editing, manipulation, image stability (non destructive editing I would imagine if you can use raw)  the advances in image image editing software since 1999 are enough to seriously consider this investment.  As for 2D animation I have no idea.  It depends on how much you use photography in your work, if very little, at least bin the 6 and get X9.  Otherwise Yes, invest in affinity's competition with adobe.  Hope something here is useful for you.

Chris

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

8 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Photo plus 6 is 19 years old.  If you look at the changes in Photoshop since 1999, huge changes.  And now photo plus x9 is a far greater choice than photo plus 6 and it is only 30 euros, or 20 pounds wherever you live.    If nothing else I personally would recommend serif's X9, it will be so much better than 6.

Many ‘Plus’ users say 6 when they actually mean X6 (i.e. ten versions later, in the case of PhotoPlus and PagePlus). PhotoPlus X6 is pretty capable, and if that’s what the OP has then it’s probably not worth spending 25 US dollars on upgrading to the last version, X8.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I meant Photo Plus X6, sorry for the confusion.

So, is the upgrade between Photo Plus X6  and Affinity Photo (AP) is worth it?

Granted, its very affordable.  But does AP have enough "new stuff" to warrant the change, or is it pretty much the same thing in a shiny new package?

(I tried the Photo - trial -  briefly and as soon as found Designer I stopped looking at Photo - I don't think they will let me "try" it again for free). So I didn't test it much, unfortunately.