You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for a better solution to an EPS problem

I recently finished a project for a client to test Designer in a production environment. This mostly went quite well until I got a very odd request from the printer. They asked that the files be delivered as AI or EPS with all images linked and provided as separate files. This set off a rather frustrating day of trying to find a way to get the files to the printer as specified. I did get it "working" but it was a very messy process:

1. Export from Designer as PDF
  2. Open PDF in Illustrator
  3. Manually move all template elements to a new layer
  4. Copy out any rasterized elements to Photoshop
  5. Save these as tiffs
  6. relink the files
  7. save final eps

I've been trying to figure out a simpler way to do this with just affinity products and I'm a bit stuck. The problem lies with the use of gradients on the strokes. When exported as an EPS from Designer, these strokes are expanded and the gradient is turned into an image fill. This makes it impractical to accommodate the printers needs. Exporting as a PDF still expands the strokes, but at least the gradients come in as unknown vector data. 

Does anyone know a way I can get Affinity to export the EPS with all elements that it rasterizes as linked? I've attached the file for anyone if they want to give it a go.

TuckBox_Final.afdesign

This is the first time in 10 years doing this I've had a request like this one. Usually if an EPS is requested you send the eps and that's that. Just straight up exporting an EPS will result in what you've found, any rasterized bits being embedded in the file. Further, you can't just export and relink them... at least in CS6. They are in some kind of weird state and of course you can't open the EPS in Affinity to attempt exporting them because you'll run into the same issue when you export.