You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo changes after export to jpg

8 hours ago, Ivan Lietaert said:

If this forum doesn't accept your jpgs, this may be an indication that there is something wrong with these files. Have you exported them with a preset within AF or did you use some alternative (read: faulty) method?

I've actually tried exporting them with just about every choice and preset that is available.  The Tiffs are even coming out darker. Here's a screenshot of a photo in the Affinity desktop and one I exported to a Tiff side by side.  It doesn't matter what I open them in either, even when I open them up in Affinity.  Here is a 'Tiff' export I just did...  I opened the tiff up in Windows Photo (or something, it doesn't matter)…  Took the opened Tiff and placed it beside the open 'developed' image in Affinity.  Note, the only editing I did to this photo was to add an unsharp mask.  So here's something I haven't asked yet???  Are yours, or anyone else's exports coming out looking EXACTLY the same as they do on your Affinity desktop before you export them?  Now; as you can see, I was able to upload this jpg with no problem.  However, I copied this from the PC I did the work on and now the left cannon is darker but sharper, on the PC that I copied these 'from' the left cannon was lighter and sharper.  So the sharpness didn't change but the overall brightness did.  I also can see clearly that the entire image quality of both has gone down.1711014835_Sidebyside.thumb.jpg.1839dc4ec657037286c1d364eb83935c.jpg

Ireland, very close.:)

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hick,  Windows photo is a plaything and not geared up to render images in such a most precise matter colour wise.  Secondly, each piece of image rendering software will have differences in its rendering software for displaingy pixels on a screen.  The most important thing is how it prints, not how it looks on screen.  However, one of the first steps in colour management is to calibrate your display.  A lot of people can not afford this, 140 euros will get you a superb colorimeter and calibration software from Datacolour for example (I use that one).  My  laptop is not calibrated at all at the moment except for what I altered myself inside the windows software where I could just to give me a guide.  My photos fom the mac and the print match up perfectly, but my photos on my laptop look 'orrible, BUT, I place my image from the mac onto the laptop with complete confidence knowing exactly how it will print.  Because it does not matter what it looks like on my windows screen.  Also when I send it to my pdf on windows it looks even more different, but I don't care, I know it will print perfectly.  Why?  because all the informaton contained within that image that tells it how it should look never changes from screen to screen from pdf to pdf, but how it is rendered on a given device WILL change.  But no colour or luminosity values are being altered.  Does this help?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

Awesome, and believe it or not, Ireland was my first thought but because of how our brain sometimes works, I thought "wait, that's just too obvious".  Well, it was obvious for a reason!  (o:  Also, one of my all time favorite movies kept popping into my head... 220px-Maureen_O%27Hara_John_Wayne_from_l

Hick,  Windows photo is a plaything and not geared up to render images in such a most precise matter colour wise.  Secondly, each piece of image rendering software will have differences in its rendering software for displaingy pixels on a screen.  The most important thing is how it prints, not how it looks on screen.  However, one of the first steps in colour management is to calibrate your display.  A lot of people can not afford this, 140 euros will get you a superb colorimeter and calibration software from Datacolour for example (I use that one).  My  laptop is not calibrated at all at the moment except for what I altered myself inside the windows software where I could just to give me a guide.  My photos fom the mac and the print match up perfectly, but my photos on my laptop look 'orrible, BUT, I place my image from the mac onto the laptop with complete confidence knowing exactly how it will print.  Because it does not matter what it looks like on my windows screen.  Also when I send it to my pdf on windows it looks even more different, but I don't care, I know it will print perfectly.  Why?  because all the informaton contained within that image that tells it how it should look never changes from screen to screen from pdf to pdf, but how it is rendered on a given device WILL change.  But no colour or luminosity values are being altered.  Does this help?

Chris, this helps very much!  This explanation is the conclusion I was slowly coming to, but I guess I couldn't get through my thick scull.  Thank you!

140 euros will get you a superb colorimeter and calibration software from Datacolour

Perfect, my wife was just asking me if I wanted anything for my birthday and I said I don't think so...  Well now I do.  He he.

9 minutes ago, HickW said:

Perfect, my wife was just asking me if I wanted anything for my birthday and I said I don't think so...  Well now I do.  He he.

One point to make here, calibrating does not synchronise printer with screen, what it does is to make sure that you have a consistent work flow, for example, I always know before hand how my print will look because my screen has slightly brighter pixels at the lower end (12.12.12 to 20.20.20 RGB  these are dark shadows)  But these will be printed out lower meaning total complete black,  knowing this means i just simply lighten these areas if the aesthetics are more pleasing.  Also I can be assured that all my colours will be exactly the same apart from say on screen I see more deeper reds, but I know these can not be printed out so deep, but that does not matter, I adjust or I leave, the point here is that there is very little room or no room for dissappointment when you print, or when you send to the printer, as long as you proof with regards to the latter.  Northlight images will give youa lot ofinfo and he has those excellent test cards you can download.

Like Chris said, Windows Photo Viewer is 'legacy software', basically meaning it has since long (2009) become obsolete. There are far better photo viewers out there, which will do a much better, accurate job at rendering your images. To make a slightly exagerated comparison, it 's like you are editing a 4K video in highest resolution, and then play it back on a b&w television set dating back to the 1950s. No wonder you complain about its image quality. Here is another analogy: it's like you are recording music digitally, but then play it back on a scratchy vinyl record. And then you wonder why it sounds different...

Try irfanview or faststone image viewer. Both are free. Or use Windows 10's Photo app.

Callibrating your monitor is ok, but in my experience, recent Samsung and Dell screens come with standard presets which are very good. Unless you're a professional, callibrating tools are not worth the money for what they claim to do. Simply turning on/off your office light, or a cloud passing across the sun, will much more affect what you see on the screen, than callibrating your screen will ever have. That's my two cents.

Dell XPS 8930 i8700 3.2GHz 16GB RAM GTX 1070
Main digital camera: Fuji X100s
Analog cameras: Canon 1v (35mm) + Mamiya C220 (medium format)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivanlietaert/

12 hours ago, Ivan Lietaert said:

Callibrating your monitor is ok, but in my experience, recent Samsung and Dell screens come with standard presets which are very good. Unless you're a professional, callibrating tools are not worth the money for what they claim to do. Simply turning on/off your office light, or a cloud passing across the sun, will much more affect what you see on the screen, than callibrating your screen will ever have. That's my two cents

Ivan, no professionalism is required.  And yes you are right about one thing, make sure you do not have any artificial or natural window light behind you, this is a killer.  BUT, All laptop screens are set to a luminosity level (candelars) way way above what is acceptable for viewing images.  You will always wonder why your prints come out darker on a printer.  If you intend to do a lot of photography and send to printers then callibrating the monitor is an essential.  Secondly,the rudimentary software that comes with the Dell for example is not a calibrating mechanism, it simply adjusts for comfortable viewing andthe two are worlds apart.  Calibrating will set the shadow and highlight values and adjust RGB colour and set temperature ambience (ie the light that is currently in your room will be taken into consideration) the latter is perfect if you work in a room where the light does not change, or if you decide to work with a daylight bulb on your desk or something.  There are a few more details as well but basically it is not a waste of money, if you print regularly, or send to a printer once a month for example.  The time saved and the money saved in paper and ink is wellworth it, not to menttion the absence of that scream when the print is not as you expect.  The only thing required for calibrating your monitor is to google and read a little about colour management and what the software does, apart from that you hang the spectrometer on your screen press some knobs and away it goes.

KInd regards

Chris

Either way, my birthday present arrives tonight!  I've actually been thinking about getting one for a long time (and this is without knowing what the heck I was really doing).  Thanks to Chris, I am now on a journey of figuring it out!!  Got the book last night and read through the first chapter.  I really appreciate the way they touch on pretty much all photographic details, not just jump into 'here's how you do this in Photoshop' (just like you said they do).   Anyways; I finally have a calibrator and I look at it this way...  I have a lot to learn, so if possible, why not make it go as smooth as possible.

Thank you

2 hours ago, HickW said:

Anyways; I finally have a calibrator and I look at it this way...  I have a lot to learn, so if possible, why not make it go as smooth as possible.

Hick, if you need help understanding just ask or PM me rather than filling up the thread.