You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page Numbering Auto addto new pages

Beta version 1.7.0.145

I have imported a text file bigger than my total number of pages.

I added extra pages but have noticed that the new pages have no page numbers.

Section manager is showing I have in section 2 - Pages 3 - 34. with page numbers 88 - 119.

45274336_missingpagenumbers.png.3862e07189a01e00f4d4e51b417160ee.png

Any ideas please.

I can think of two scenarios:

1. You let the text overflow the frame when you did an Insert or paste, and then shift-clicked on the link icon. In that case, Publisher would create new pages automatically, with the same Master Page(s) applied as on the original page, and identical text frames to hold the overflow. Or,
  2. You created the pages manually, and added the text frames yourself. In this scenario, you would have to specify the Master Page(s) yourself while creating the new pages.

My guess is that you used scenarioi 2, but did not apply the Master Page(s). If you look in the Pages panel, and hover your mouse over the document pages, Publisher will tell you which Master pages, if any, are applied.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Many thanks Walt, you were right "My guess is that you used scenarioi 2, but did not apply the Master Page(s"

I went back to the master page and selected "Apply Master> add to all pages".

Now sorted.

12 minutes ago, TomGerritzen said:

@walt how do you feel about the randomness with which the hovering master name is shown? Try moving around a bit with your mouse around the page manager. The master names are displayed in a strange way, and are sometimes not displayed at all.

I'm not  @walt, but I'll assume you were talking to me :)

I haven't experienced that problem. Perhaps it's something on your system, or something in your configuration. If it's recreatable you might start a separate bug report topic and give more details and a screenshot.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.