You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How much complicated content affinity designer can run on my pc?

Hello,
I have seen many beautiful complicated works done by affinity designer and those were done on ipad or older versions of iMac and windows pc whose configurations are unknown to me.
That gives an impression that designer is not very resource hogging.
My question is how complicated is too much for my windows pc (G4560, 16Gigs, igpu, 250gig ssd)? I'm not quite asking the system requirement to run designer. I'm asking after what point my computer may start lagging? Like multiple layers or bigger canvas or too many raster brush - what will be the choking point of my pc?
In that case, I'm thinking of doing small upgrade. What I can invest in?
Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi _Bluebug and Welcome to the Forums,

I can't really comment on PC hardware that well.  The specs you've given look good to me and Affinity mainly uses CPU cores.  I'm sure anyone who can give better advice will post shortly :) 

Thanks a lot. I really hope the hardware can handle it. Let's hear what other people says.

I used to run Designer and Photo on an i3-550 PC with 8 GB ram and only the integrated graphics. It was not a speed demon but never had any problem, and both programs ran very fine. Yours is a little faster and your memory should be faster too, and an SSD drive on top of that …. IMO you don't have to make any investment to run Designer.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 2:32 AM, AlainP said:

I used to run Designer and Photo on an i3-550 PC with 8 GB ram and only the integrated graphics. It was not a speed demon but never had any problem, and both programs ran very fine. Yours is a little faster and your memory should be faster too, and an SSD drive on top of that …. IMO you don't have to make any investment to run Designer.

I'm worried because for complicated illustration such as this one Example 1 or Example 2, I see the layer buildups on the right hand side. I wonder whether my computer can handle such work or not.

Why don't you try de beta version and you will see. And... Christmas in near by anyway.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

6 minutes ago, AlainP said:

Why don't you try de beta version and you will see. And... Christmas in near by anyway.

Beta of what? I thought Affinity Designer is stable.

And no I can't sadly test it beforehand you see because I'm planning to buy Windows 10 retail along with Affinity and other hardware upgrades in Christmas.

17 hours ago, _Bluebug said:

Beta of what? I thought Affinity Designer is stable.

And no I can't sadly test it beforehand you see because I'm planning to buy Windows 10 retail along with Affinity and other hardware upgrades in Christmas.

I think AlainP meant the trial version.

Download and try Designer for free for 10 days

https://affin.co/designertrial

But if you can't try it I wouldn't worry. It ran fine on my old i3 PC and your spec is much better than that.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

13 hours ago, toltec said:

I think AlainP meant the trial version.

Download and try Designer for free for 10 days

https://affinity.store/en-gb/checkout/?basket=8dfa057ab114ae77e856b4467f91ce6a

But if you can't try it I wouldn't worry. It ran fine on my old i3 PC and your spec is much better than that.

That's exactly what I meant.

-- Macbook Air 15"

13 hours ago, toltec said:

Here’s a generic link: https://affin.co/designertrial

Please note that the trial clock runs continuously from the moment you first launch the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)