You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Capture.PNG.ef9f8ae28a5eeccc4c6398715ffc7e5e.PNGHi Ralph, you can.  On creating new doc, 4th option down.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

There's no Preference for embedded vs linked. You need to set it on each new document if you want Linked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Thanks Chris26 - but the next time I create a new document it is "Prefer Embedded" again. I can't find how to set "Prefer Linked" as the default.

Ah Damn that extra finger movement, nevermind, it's a workout:P

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Walt,

That's my point - maybe not made as clearly as I ought :) 

If I tick the "Portrait" box any future documents default to - portrait. I anticipated image placement (link/embed) to work in the same way - if I set it to "linked" then the next document will open "linked" It came as a surprise when that didn't happen; after all we expect it to be available for text styles (and other parameters I can't think of at the moment!)

I am asking the developers if the feature could be incorporated. 

You can create your own presets which will honour your linked/embedded preference for new documents

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

All the time, I find I need a new way of thinking to discover how Serif do it:) Once I have adjusted, it's really very good! So I guess 'Presets' is the way to create what I call a 'template' in other packages. That sounds imaginative, but I have to add that PPX9 is great in its treatment of templates: - "if it ain't broke ….."

My problem now is finding out how to create a Named Preset - and save it ??? <Help> isn't helping a lot.

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

I guess 'Presets' is the way to create what I call a 'template' in other packages.

A Template has guides and all sorts of other good stuff added in, a Preset is just paper size, orientation, colour mode, margins and bleed.

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

My problem now is finding out how to create a Named Preset - and save it ??? <Help> isn't helping a lot

Look to the far right of Page Presets on the new document window there is a little button which will bring up a menu with new and rename etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes - I did all that before raising the post. Unfortunately I can't find anything which either allows me to name a new preset (each new one appears as Unnamedx) and no means of saving the settings. I can change the name - and in the process, <Linked>  miraculously converts itself to <Embedded>. 

I see you are on Apple. Maybe it's not just my lack of brainpower but a bug in the Windows version.

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

Unfortunately I can't find anything which either allows me to name a new preset (each new one appears as Unnamedx) and no means of saving the settings. I can change the name - and in the process, <Linked>  miraculously converts itself to <Embedded>. 

You "name" a new preset by first creating it (e.g., as Unnamed 1) and then renaming it to the name you want:

preset4.png.2d858768383576fe73c7aa9682043361.png

The preset's settings are saved automatically at the time you click on Create Preset. So, your workflow should be:

1. File > New
  2. Change the settings to what you want them to be. It is important to do this before creating the preset.
  3. Create Preset...
  4. Rename Preset...
  5. Click OK.

To use the preset again, after File > New change the Type to Presets (if it isn't already) and select the preset you want from the dropdown.

If you do step 3 before step 2 then the wrong settings will be saved, which (I think) explains why you couldn't get the Linked preference to stick.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks Walt. That's worked -it's the exact opposite to the way I would instinctively do it! All I need now is a way of making the "Linked" preset, the default. That is, when I hit [Ctrl][N] the popup says "Linked" in the Page Preset text box.

Walt???

I keep finding that Serif have new, and usually very good, ways of doing things but I can't find out from the Help files, what they are. Thanks you to all forum respondents who help those of us who have had the Microsoft thought processes embedded in their minds since the 1980's:)

16 hours ago, Ralph said:

All I need now is a way of making the "Linked" preset, the default. That is, when I hit [Ctrl][N] the popup says "Linked" in the Page Preset text box.

Sorry, there's no way that I know of to do that. Ideally it would, as it does when you use other presets. That is, if I choose Print and Letter for one document, then use File > New to create another document, it comes up with Print and Letter. So there's no good reason that if I use Presets and choose one named Linked (or anything else) for one document, it shouldn't show that for the next one I create, but all it shows is Presets and a blank for the preset name, and I have to use the dropdown to choose one.

Might be a bug, or might be something Serif just hasn't implemented yet, or might be the way they want it to work :)

Perhaps @Dave Harris or someone else at Serif can comment on that.

-- Walt
PC:

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

or might be the way they want it to work

If that is true then we are all doomed, carpal tunnel syndrome from all those dozens hundreds thousands of unnecessary clicks and mouse twitches.

[helpless-sigh emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Is there anybody who needs to embed their images in the file? For 10+ years of working in InDesign I literally never needed to embed images. InDesign had a "package" feature that combined all used images and fonts into a folder that would be used for sending it to the printer's office for printing.

In the same vein, there's a host of minor, but really useful UI which appear to be abandoned in AfP :-

• Is there no Windows Quick Access Toolbar?  - Preview, PDF, Print, UnDo, ReDo, Save, New, Open …  Where do I get to customise my Windows Quick Access Toolbar?
  • The AfP Quick Access Toolbar seems to be patchy  and partially repeated on the Tool Context Menu.
  • Saving and holding defaults (as per embedded/Linked) need to work consistently 
  • Preflight & Packaging (as Mandu says)
  • Shape tool icon consistency (square & rounded rectangles get their own icon, all the rest (OK - except ellipse) are subsumed into one.
  • Frame wrap function appears with differing functionality in different places.
    • Text wrap is confused (sic! - and confusing), 2 occurrences (Menu, Icon) with different functionality. Does not exist in Context Menu.
    • What on EARTH is "Ignore text offset" all about !O.o Apart from the fact it generates lots of mouse clicks.
    • To wrap a text frame around a text frame, both have to have Wrap conditions applied.
    • Outside offset easy to apply. I'm still looking for internal offset -and how to apply line/stroke to border. I'd expect them to all be in the same place.
    • frame wrap does not appear to exist - but put a frame around text and it can be applied using "Text wrap".   

I hope the designers have just left this lot, and other similar 'simple' functions till late in the development because they know how to implement them and are concentrating on all the stuff which is innovative in a DTP.

This probably needs moving to a different thread ??