Giggly

Find & Replace Tool for Affinity Designer

Having a basic text Find and Replace functionality in Designer is critical for us.  We waste a huge amount of time having to manually search through lots of text and we can't be certain to find all the instances without a basic search tool.

Is there a reason this basic functionality is missing from Designer? 

Is there a plan to add it to Designer in the near future?

Hi Giggly,

I honestly don't know if it will be coming to Designer.  As explained by MEB here Designer is mainly a vector/raster hybrid app and working with large amounts of text will be more suited to Affinity Publisher (which does have Find and Replace).

Hi stokerg,

Thank you for linking to another of what I am guessing are many posts strewn throughout this forum asking for this basic functionality going back to at least November 24, 2014. As pointed out in your linked post, Illustrator, another vector/raster hybrid desktop application, has this basic text Find and Replace functionality.  Even the free and open source inkscape, another vector/raster hybrid desktop application, has this basic text Find and Replace functionality, although to be accurate, inkscape's Find and Replace functionality is pretty advanced and elegant.

PagePlus, which I used for many, many years is a vector/raster hybrid desktop application and it has basic text Find and Replace functionality.  Publisher is a vector/raster hybrid desktop application and according to your reply it has text Find and Replace functionality.

I'm seem to recall that one of Affinity's biggest selling points going back many years has been how integrated Photo, Designer and Publisher are with a shared and consistent code base.  Since you already have the expertise and code from PagePlus and Publisher why can't you incorporate it into Designer? 

Your user base has been asking for this basic functionality for many years.  We love Designer and we desperately need this basic functionality.

On 10/13/2018 at 1:52 PM, Giggly said:

Since you already have the expertise and code from PagePlus and Publisher why can't you incorporate it into Designer? 

We can't port code from PagePlus in Affinity range.  However!, Now we have the Feature in Publisher, it's possible we may see it in Designer.  It not my decision if that happens but i'll see what i can find out and update back here :)  

24 minutes ago, JesseM said:

I agree with this. The functionally makes sense.

I would like to see it also apply to design settings as well. So that you can find all the instances of 2 pixel strokes that are yellow and make them orange for example. 

That has also been requested before, so we know it's a wanted feature.  Again i can't give any confirmation on if or when it would be.

At least text based search, aka Find and Replace, shouldn't be that much of a deal to implement and add for all apps. Especially where other related text handling things are already there (like Caps, To-lower- and uppercase, spell checking etc.). - However, if added, it would be fine if text find/replace could then also offer to deal with regular expressions, in order to allow some sort of more finer grade text matching and handling.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hi stokerg,

can you provide an update on this basic but critically needed functionality?

On 10/14/2018 at 1:30 PM, stokerg said:

However!, Now we have the Feature in Publisher, it's possible we may see it in Designer.  It not my decision if that happens but i'll see what i can find out and update back here :)  

8 hours ago, putude said:

is a basic tools should available in this software

If you're talking about Affinity Publisher, it's definitely yes.

But if it's about Affinity Designer, there's something else I'm thinking about as the "basic tools".

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135, Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.195.
Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.

Hi stokerg,

On 12/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, Giggly said:

Hi stokerg,

However!, Now we have the Feature in Publisher, it's possible we may see it in Designer.  It not my decision if that happens but i'll see what i can find out and update back here :)  

16 hours ago, Pšenda said:

If you're talking about Affinity Publisher, it's definitely yes.

But if it's about Affinity Designer, there's something else I'm thinking about as the "basic tools".

Why not ?

I am not talking about Affinity Publisher. 

Its available on Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw even in Inkscape. 

Hi stokerg,

On 12/19/2018 at 7:01 AM, Giggly said:

Hi stokerg,

On 12/12/2018 at 4:25 PM, Giggly said:

Hi stokerg,

If you can typeset more than a few words, why shouldn‘t there be a find & replace?

It would be even more useful if you could search & replace paths/objects like in FreeHand.