You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table problems in latest Beta of Publisher

In the latest version of Publisher the tables on my mac are unusable

The column and row controls are not showing the actual row and column positions, and I cannot adjust the column widths

On the previous version I could. So the app is now unusable. So I will have to abandon Publisher until this bug is fixed

Jpeg of a table with the problem is attached. It is the second attachment. 

The first was downloaded by mistake, but there is no obvious way of deleting it

Affinity screen.jpg

Affinity Table.jpg

The table was created when I imported a pdf, as being the only way to use a file created in Indesign

I have now tried a table created from scratch in a different file, and its OK

But if I insert a table into the problem file its not OK. The black outer row and column (whatever they are called) have white dividers the are not aligned with the actual row and column lines

Hopefully the attached file is the problem file

If, as it looks its an import problem, it tends to indicate that importing a pdf is too crude to be of much use, putting pressure on being able to import a native in design file

LY V5 0.93.afpub

• 3 weeks later...

I have had very similar issues.  Spent an hour building a very pretty table only to have it go haywire--as if it had a mind of its own.  The last row grew beyond the document size and any attempts to reduce its height--either via mouse or entering number for height--only mad it grow larger.  Had to quit and use Excel.

The bug about copying and pasting into the last cell of a table causing a crash, actually damages the table whichever cell you paste into, but in less obvious ways. Now that bug is fixed in the latest beta, I am hoping that new tables don't get these problems.

• Staff

@SenorTJ

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

as Dave says, this should not happen now with new tables (ones created in the new build). Can you still make it happen in a new table in your document?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

8 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

The bug about copying and pasting into the last cell of a table causing a crash, actually damages the table whichever cell you paste into, but in less obvious ways. Now that bug is fixed in the latest beta, I am hoping that new tables don't get these problems.

Latest beta meaning 1.7.0.157.

More on Table problems using 1.7.0.157

1  I copied and pasted a table to another document. The table was correct, and I could bring up the outer frame. However it had the dividing lines completely out of kilter with the column and row lines. I.e. copying made the table unusable

2 And these seem to be persistent problems/features

a) If a row is inserted, there are no options. Its always where you don't want it, above rather than below

b) If you want to insert several rows the industry standard of inserting as many rows as are currently selected, does not work. 

Since i upgraded to 1.7.0.162 im no longer able to edit Tables. Whether i try to adjust a table from a prior version in a file imported or if i create a new table i cant adjust width or height of columns, cells or rows. I cant see the table cell properties open up when i click the table.

• 1 month later...

I am known 1.7.0.206 and all the table problems that seemed to be solved are back

Basically tables are no longer editable. Picture below shows the problem. In green is the relevant extract from the help feature

The table is selected, and the row and header cells are not there

Clicking the table icon used to bring up the header cells. but no longer

As some one who has used tables for longer than I care to remember I am having difficulty in understanding how this essential feature fails to work. to the extent that a table is not useable. And after the bug seemed to have been fixed

I am also noticing that were it to work a column is always added before and not after. Choice is good. After is liveable. But why before?

Aff table.jpg

I wish it was that simple

I know and experienced this sort of behaviour earlier, and I could get the headers to appear

But no longer.  And unless there is some very special way of "selecting with the table tool" it really does not work.

IF Chris_K still thinks its because I do not know how to "Select with the table tool" it needs to be spelt out very precisely and correctly in the help file. (saying select is it seems wrong) In the meantime I have tried selecting the table in all the ways I can think of, but without success

Can you upload the APub project file to this forum?

you may have inadvertently converted the Table to Curves, (very easily done) or something else may become evident if we can see the file

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It seems fine to me.

Using the Table Tool or Double Clicking with the Move Tool displays the table headers, which is what I would expect

You may need to reset your copy of Publisher using the CTRL key method to see if that cures it for you, or wait to see if someone else has an idea

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I think I may also be experiencing this bug.

Usually, the table headers are there, but in some cases they suddenly disappear. The only way to bring them back is to quit Publisher and restart. I have had this for text frame rulers too.

Replying to mac-heibu

No

I installed an update, got tables working, powered off, and closed Publisher several times. Each time tables worked fine

But after a gap and an update I came to try and use a table, and couldn't . 

Prompted by carl123 I posted the file, which was reported to have a working table

So clearly, at least as clearly as software issues can be, it was a corruption in Publisher, not in the file

Perhaps since moving back to a Mac I have become unaccustomed to modal behaviour signifying a glitch, the sort of thing that was endemic in Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely something is wrong

All worked well and then I could not get back the table headers 

Quitting and restarting did not solve the issue

Closing down the Mac and rebooting did

I had gone about 7 days from the last reboot. Nothing else was showing a problem, and the MAC OS is so good its difficult to remember the last time I had to reboot to fix an app. I think it was about 6 months ago with Houdah spot. But its 3 times in 3 months with Publisher

To me this is a bug

I know about managing software projects, and it feels like a nasty one. Perhaps some sort of reset mechanism is needed.

But now I know the fix, I am back using Publisher and getting to like it a lot

Most missed is the ability to drag and drop text

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.