You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug - Different page sizes not applied

Hi,

With this post I would like to submit a bug.

When using multiple master pages with different page sizes, after dragging / applying  a master page with another page size, the new page size is not applied.

I'm using version 1.7.145

See attached movie.

Thanks

Pages' size can be changed with Spread Setup.

126525254_sectionsetc.jpg.cb21813cc57f6f344b2953cb1a9f4707.jpg

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

55 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Page do not inherent the page dimensions from the master so this is the expected behaviour

Thanks

And yet everything about a Master page ought to be able to be applied to pages and any changes to a Master page, in this case size, ought to be updated on any/every page associated to pages it/they are applied to.

I realize this is a request at this point. But it should be baked-in by release.

So if a user needs to change the applied master page, he or she needs to manually change the page size as well? This seems a lot of work if someone has a large book file. 

Would it not be more logical to change the page size as well when applying the master page?
Why would you not apply the page size when applying the master page? This seems very strange...

Please change this behaviour ..

With the current behavior, elements present on the Master Page may be lost if the Master is applied to a smaller page. That doesn't seem right.

It might be better to refuse to apply a Master to a page of a different size, or to scale the Master content so it will all fit on the pages it's applied to.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Why should the elements be lost? If a smaller page is applied, the elements could just be placed next to the page. If you downsize a page, using the spine as reference, elements could just be placed next to the page, or partially on the page...

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

... in this case size, ought to be updated on any/every page associated to pages it/they are applied to...

17 minutes ago, timme said:

Would it not be more logical to change the page size as well when applying the master page?
Why would you not apply the page size when applying the master page? This seems very strange...

Please change this behaviour ..

What happens when I apply two master pages of different sizes to one page?

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

What happens when I apply two master pages of different sizes to one page?

Dunno in APub. But this is where Master pages Based On comes in handy elsewhere. If I had two master pages then decided I needed smaller/larger pages, I would create two master pages Based On those two master pages. Then apply them.

About the only time I use disparate page sizes in a single publication, it is a larger page. That larger page is typically for a fold-out. In this instance, I would create the larger master page and replicate any elements I needed on it (like pg nums, header/footer). What I wouldn't be doing is applying yet a different master to it unless I created a second master of the same size for secondary elements--of which I cannot think of what those elements would be. But if I tried to apply a master page of different dimensions, a warning about that (and perhaps how I would like to handle this case) would be a reasonable thing.

Mike

On further examination there is a bug here but not what we are currently talking about. Change the spread size and the Master Page will center on the spread's spine unless it is a single page then its left or right page's content is centered on the page.

838889541_newbug.jpg.ce6d77818fa1b9fa2febb144343ada7e.jpg 

Small Page + Big Master or Big Page + Small Master for single pages it is busted, or there needs to be an option to go from the spline not the centre.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.