You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Difference between web and AppStore versions

• Staff

Hi Captain Steve,

Welcome to the forums :)

The only difference between the affinity.store and App store versions of Affinity (assuming you're referring to the Mac builds) are as follow;

1. The App store allows for older versions of Mac OS compatibility, due to a change in how a few feature implementations work through the App Store. (10.7 onwards for Mac App Store, 10.9 onwards for affinity.store)

2. You'll receive automatic updates through the Mac App store, we're working on improving our updater/installer for the Affinity.store build currently, so this should hopefully be possible in the future.

3. The Mac App store version is sandboxed, as with any app through the App Store. This however should not affect most functionality of the app.
We're aware of a few issues currently and are working to fix them, such as the 'Edit in' extension from Apple Photos not working correctly in the Affinity.store version due to this.

4. There's no product keys for the Mac App Store version, the app is associated with your Apple account.

The applications functionality remain the same between store versions, other than the aforementioned bug, I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Hi GStudio :)

Unfortunately licenses are non-transferable between platforms, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi tillkrueger,

The Affinity Store license allows you to install on as many computers that you own or personally control - I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 11/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, tillkrueger said:

Since the Apple Store version allows to be installed on up to 5 computers ...

That is not true -- the 5 computer limit applies to some Apple Store items but not to App Store content. See for example https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html & scroll down to the section for "App Store Content:"

App Store Content:

- The term “App” includes apps for any Apple platform and/or operating system, in-app purchases, extensions (such as keyboards), stickers, and subscriptions made available in an app.

- You can use Apps on any device that you own or control.

- Individuals acting on behalf of a commercial enterprise, governmental organization or educational institution (an “Enterprise”) may download and sync non-Arcade Apps for use by either (i) a single individual on one or more devices owned or controlled by an Enterprise; or (ii) multiple individuals on a single shared device owned or controlled by an Enterprise. For the sake of clarity, each device used serially or collectively by multiple users requires a separate license.

Make sure you check the version for your country or region of purchase. You can do this by choosing the App Store item from the Apple menu on your Mac & scrolling to the bottom of the page. One of the Links on the last line is "Terms and Conditions."  Click that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That is not true -- the 5 computer limit applies to some Apple Store items but not to App Store content.

Yes, points well taken, R C-R :)

My question was about installing the app on multiple machines, though, which some apps do not allow beyond 1 or 2 installs (I.e. iMazing). It was always clear to me that this assumes that I am the only user of those machines. I like Adobe's licensing scheme (or Blackmagic's as well, for that matter), which allow you to automatically disable licenses on other computers if the one you are activating goes beyond their allowed activations. It's totally transparent and worry-free when you have multiple workstations and laptops, like I do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 3:38 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Captain Steve,

The only difference between the affinity.store and App store versions of Affinity (assuming you're referring to the Mac builds) are as follow;

1. The App store allows for older versions of Mac OS compatibility, due to a change in how a few feature implementations work through the App Store. (10.7 onwards for Mac App Store, 10.9 onwards for affinity.store)

2. You'll receive automatic updates through the Mac App store, we're working on improving our updater/installer for the Affinity.store build currently, so this should hopefully be possible in the future.

3. The Mac App store version is sandboxed, as with any app through the App Store. This however should not affect most functionality of the app.
We're aware of a few issues currently and are working to fix them, such as the 'Edit in' extension from Apple Photos not working correctly in the Affinity.store version due to this.

4. There's no product keys for the Mac App Store version, the app is associated with your Apple account.

The applications functionality remain the same between store versions, other than the aforementioned bug, I hope this helps!

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Photo and Designer this weekend and would like to know if it's better to buy through the App Store or direct from the website? Have any of the above statements changed in the last year due to recent updates etc? Also, what does sandboxed mean in this context?

I'm on an up to date, Early 2015 MacBook Pro.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Simbad82 said:

Also, what does sandboxed mean in this context?

Sandboxing is a security feature. It means an app has no (or strictly limited) access to resources outside of its own 'sandbox.' 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

One other difference is that if you buy from the Mac App Store, the Affinity apps allow Family Sharing for up to six family members.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

1 hour ago, h_d said:

One other difference is that if you buy from the Mac App Store, the Affinity apps allow Family Sharing for up to six family members.

If you buy directly from Serif you can install on as many computers as you own or control. That could include computers you buy for other family members.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you buy directly from Serif you can install on as many computers as you own or control. That could include computers you buy for other family members.

One difference for Family Sharing is enrolled family members can install qualifying apps themselves, using their own Apple ID's to sign into the Mac App Store, even if they "own or control" their own Macs.

This also applies to sharing other Apple iCloud based services & to sharing iOS/iPadOS apps (but of course for Affinity only for the iPad versions). Basically, Apple wants to make it as friction free as possible for families to remain within the Apple ecosystem ... & to sign up for several of their paid services, which is generating a ton of profit for the company.

Affinity Photo 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Lars · upstruct.com said:

I own Affinity Designer as App Store version but plan to buy the other two apps directly – are there any compatibility issues known between the App Store and the Non-AppStore versions?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

There should not be any compatibility issues in that configuration.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one question that's really important to me when it comes to having two versions of the same tool: once a new version of an Affinity app is out (v2.0), supposedly, there will be an option to upgrade from older versions instead of having to buy v2.0 at full price (as per product specs on the website). Is this going to be the case for both the Mac App Store and website versions?

Nobody knows for sure what the pricing or upgrade policy will be for the 2.x versions yet. 

Affinity Photo 

• 10 months later...

I am just ready to purchase Affinity Photo, (rather than purchasing PS Elements when I found out about Affinity Photo from a user post in Slickdeals.)

I wonder if the Sandboxing has an impact on the available memory usage for the program and could results in slowing down the App Store version?

I am leaning heavily on the direct purchase since it should give Serif more money, especially at the current sale price. Then they can have more money for improving the product, keep what I hear is great support.  Serif's licensing is very flexible, can't ask for anything more. 

Edit: Just ordered, two additional information: Serif is able to also provide addition promotions on top of the sale which is not available in the App Store and for me, no sales tax which I normally pay on App Store purchases.

Al

Edited by ACHofNY
additional information

Welcome to the Forums @ACHofNY🙂  I bought my apps directly from the Affinity store. They work flawlessly!  I am glad that is what you decided to do. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

58 minutes ago, ACHofNY said:

I am just ready to purchase Affinity Photo, (rather than purchasing PS Elements when I found out about Affinity Photo from a user post in Slickdeals.)

I wonder if the Sandboxing has an impact on the available memory usage for the program and could results in slowing down the App Store version?

I am leaning heavily on the direct purchase since it should give Serif more money, especially at the current sale price. Then they can have more money for improving the product, keep what I hear is great support.  Serif's licensing is very flexible, can't ask for anything more. 

Edit: Just ordered, two additional information: Serif is able to also provide addition promotions on top of the sale which is not available in the App Store and for me, no sales tax which I normally pay on App Store purchases.

Al

Hi ACHofNY. I have both Photo and Designer. I purchased Designer off Serif's website, last year. Just a couple of days ago I tried to purchase it off the site but my payment was declined. Contacted my bank and they said that it was a safety measure as it was an international purchase. They said they would set my card to temporarily allow an international purchase and to wait 15 minutes. I waited about half an hour just to make sure they had it set but it was declined again. Called the bank back and they had no idea why. I ended up purchasing Photo using the Windows store. After starting the program I had to register it with Serif and it opened the web page. After registering, It still allowed me to download all the extra goodies they offered if I had purchased directly from them. I did have to pay sales tax but I did receive the promotions. Like you, I would much rather have purchased directly but wasn't able to.

5 hours ago, PBMc said:

Hi ACHofNY. I have both Photo and Designer. I purchased Designer off Serif's website, last year. Just a couple of days ago I tried to purchase it off the site but my payment was declined. Contacted my bank and they said that it was a safety measure as it was an international purchase. They said they would set my card to temporarily allow an international purchase and to wait 15 minutes. I waited about half an hour just to make sure they had it set but it was declined again. Called the bank back and they had no idea why. I ended up purchasing Photo using the Windows store. After starting the program I had to register it with Serif and it opened the web page. After registering, It still allowed me to download all the extra goodies they offered if I had purchased directly from them. I did have to pay sales tax but I did receive the promotions. Like you, I would much rather have purchased directly but wasn't able to.

I didn't think about it, but I used PayPal which does not have problems with international purchases. I use PayPal so don't have to submit my credit card at the various online vendors for security reasons.

So far I like the program, especially I really like the online training videos. Nice to know they provide the goodies to their customers, whether they purchased it direct or not.

Al

• 2 months later...

I have some questions, first, Am I going to be able to download the app again when I change computers, or re-install it if there is any problem or is there a limit of downloads.

Second, I wanted to know how will the app update itself, does it has an update program like word? or something like that.

Third, buying the Mac version grants me access to the iPad version? or just the Mac?

Thanks a lot.

No limit on downloads. How updates are done depend on the store you bought the app from. The Mac & iPad versions are separate purchases.

Affinity Photo