You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text not behaving upon continuing of new sentence

Hallo,

Screenshot shows a new document (Simple A5 Back and front Cover spread), text frame inserted (as done hundreds of times before), no matter what font I choose (sticking to 12 pt) each time I want a new sentence the leading is increased way beyond the default.  I have checked paragraph attributes, leading, tracking, kerning, baseline shift, nothing was altered anyway since ths page contains three sentences and one tiny image, it is the back cover.  Thankyou, Chris.  Oh and my spacebar is disabled.  Have double checked same functions in Word and pad, spacebar and paragraph indents work as expected, relieved at least it's not my keyboard.  However spacebar does function normally in my other document.

Capture.PNG.6111c7588a7d1bfa4a2f41ba3473e374.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Can you upload a sample document showing the problem?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hallo Carl here is the file for you. You will see on page two that I can not insert spaces and on back cover the spaces between sentences are too large.  If you find a value set that is causing this then please believe me, I did NOT change it^_^

Also I was just working on it to double check spaces between letters, the minute I went into max letter space which affinity had set to -100% the programme crashed again.  Also seems to want to set its own right indent, I never inserted that.  Do we need to invoke the Ghost Busters Team?  Its not a bug, its a marshmellow blob we have here.:70_poop:

PreMag_A_Cover_upload.afpub

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• Staff

Hi Chris26, 

Again, not a bug. You changed the Desired word spacing to -100. By this, you will not see any space between words. 

image.png

When you make any changes to the text and something goes wrong, it's worth selecting the text and resetting the style to default: 

image.png

Thanks,

Gabe. 

moved from bugs

38 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I did NOT change it

If you're not changing these settings, then perhaps you might explain a bit more about your workflow. Are you creating the documents from scratch via File > New and then creating Text Frames and simply typing text into them? Or are you doing something else?

You seem to be getting a lot of odd settings in your text frames, and as they're working fine for many of us it can't simply be that Publisher regularly invents odd settings all on its own. There must be more to what's going on.

You might also try resetting Publisher (hold the ctrl key down while starting it) and see if that helps.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Firstly, Walt and Gabriel, thankyou for your time and helpful observations, Just before I read your posts I just discovered that -100% which I commented on, the thing is I am NOT, repeat NOT changing these settings.  So here is my workflow, except photos since everything goes well.  I copied all my text from an Indesign project, 32 pages.  That went into the apple mac .txt file in rich text format.  I then imported this via usb and wordpad opened up.  I selected chunks of text and copied and pasted into affinity, missing fonts naturally and so simply applied new fonts.  That is all.  Thanks for that tip about the ctrl key when starting affinity.  But I can assure you I did not set the letter spacing, I only do this in special cases but have not touched it in my documents yet.  Also thankyou for pointing out that default button, I waslooking for a way to reset to default but could not find it, happy to now see where it is.  Many appreciations both of you.  Please take a coffee on me.

PS Yes the documents are created from scratch because I want to learn affinity and so do everything from scratch.  I have already the pdf in affinity and a test print went well, but this is te easy way out, I need to know how affinity works so that I may also be buying the complete three set  package.  Xara is on my list, but I am more excited about infinity.  Although I wastempted to but X9 serif pageplus, I want to persevere with this one.

34 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I copied all my text from an Indesign project, 32 pages.  That went into the apple mac .txt file in rich text format.  I then imported this via usb and wordpad opened up.

So, if I understand this correctly:

1. You start with an InDesign document, with it's formatting.
  2. You paste that into a Mac .txt file in RTF format, which will maintain some or all of the InDesign settings, and possibly alter some.
  3. You then open that file in Wordpad (on Windows?). This would presumably also maintain some or all of the Mac .txt RTF settings, and possibly alter some.
  4. You then copy/paste pieces of the Wordpad RTF file into Publisher.

If that's correct, there are several places in there where the text is transformed from an initial format into a secondary (then tertiary, then ...) format by various programs, any of which could be making mistakes in how they're interpreting the original data they get. And then you get to Publisher, which might also be misinterpreting what it's getting from  the clipboard.

It would be useful to have samples of a document that demonstrates this, specifically, if you can duplicate this with appropriately sanitized (safe for public viewing) data:

• An InDesign file as a starting point
  • A Mac .txt file created as you've done
  • A .rtf file saved by Wordpad after opening that Mac file
  • A .afpub file saved after pasting the text into Publisher.

The more of those that are available the more information that Serif (or community users) would have to help figure out the problem and where it started.

(Note: I am just a community user, too, but I've been a commercial software designer/developer/tester for a long time, so I've had experience in figuring out problems and that's the kind of info I would find useful.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

MEB, yes I tried that once, it was such a mess I got lazy and did not do that again.  But Yep that way islogical I agree.

Walt and MEB I have uploaded 4 documents: The first thing I must say is that I have replicated step for step what I did at the beginning.  The second thing is that I am uploading a TXT from apple from my USB (THIS IS THE FIRST RTF THAT YOU SEE)  the second RTF came directly from the windows machine, because word in its stupid wisdom will automatically place it in my windows as a wordpad and not as a note pad which I suppose is windows equivalent to apples .TXT.  So you get both.  A smallsection of my Indesign is here and then a new apub file created as asked.  One thing, I had updated with todays update 145 before I saw your posts, but the same issues  you will see, it does appear to be as everyone said, my work flow or rather the extra gumpf that comes attached with formatting, this is not something I ever worried about in my mac, and not something I was really aware of.  Sorry.  but so much learned,.  Hope something might be useful to the affinity team??

Text_Content.rtf

Text_Content.rtf

Frpm word pad txt psated.afpub

For Serif_InDesignExtract.indd

Importing your RTF text into Publisher, one thing I noticed is that the Paragraph panel shows a right-indent of 1.233 inches. I think you had another thread where you asked why you couldn't get the text to go all the way to the right edge of the text frame. That would explain it.

Basically, I don't think you can trust the formatting info that's coming across, and you should paste without formatting as MEB suggested, or you'll be running around in circles trying to figure out odd things. (Others have commented in these forums that they've experienced weird symptoms importing RTF into other programs, too, and they also don't recommend it, but suggest plain text instead.)

I also don't think that Publisher is misinterpreting the RTF data. I'm not an expert at the RTF format, but I can see in the file when I view it with a simple text editor that it says "ri-1775" which specifies a right-indent of 1775 twips which is 1.2326... inches. So, Publisher got that right, but it messes things up. I also notice that things are somewhat weird if I open those files with LibreOffice, though WordPad seems to do a better job of displaying them. (Wordpad also agrees there's a right-indent of 1.23 inches, but it seems to ignore it for some reason.)

pspacing.thumb.png.ca7837c8d97f2c912ee181331bf50713.png

-- Walt
PC:

Hi there Walt again, I get the message now,  Formatting in between docs I was not really aware of this before, I think artistically rather than pragmatically, logic has no place in my life:S. .  A bit like translating a chinese text  into russian, that russian into lithuanian, that lithuanian into swahili in order to understand your grandma's recipe for apple and plum crumble in English (not forgetting the various ingredients that each of those countries have). 

Actually on a rather more mature note, I copied and pasted many times seperate chunks of text, not all in one go, so this would explain why it took so long for things to go haywire and strange formatting to appear.