You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.145 (Mac)

• Staff

Please use Affinity Publisher's built in Auto-update feature to get this new beta or Click here to download the latest beta for macOS 

Purpose: General Testing
Requirements: Mac OS 10.9 or above

Hi, we have a preview of build 145 now available on auto-update.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

New Features and Fixes

New Documents
- When creating a document, added option to create multiple pages
- Also added option to automatically create and assign a master
- Also added bleed margin settings

Menus / Toolbars / Studio
- (Mac) Fixed page indicator content clipping
- (Mac) Resetting Workspace now resets panel widths correctly
- (Mac) Fixed panel widths getting reset after restart
- (Mac) Fixed some large UI fonts issues with 'Preferences'
- (Windows) The View > Studio list is now sorted alphabetically
- (Windows) Fixed Alignment popup 'Distribute' UI disable glitch 
- (Windows) Fixed crash dragging Layers / Styles into Pages Panel
- (Windows) Fixed crash when creating a new assets category
- (Windows) Force Pixel Alignment is now turned off by default
- (Windows) Fixed picture frame properties fitting mode highlight

Import
- Fixed import of margins from afdesign / afphoto files
- PDF import text spacing improvements

Document and Page Management
- Pages now inherit master page margins unless overridden
- Fixed calculation of margins when converting to / from a facing pages document
- Fixed drawing glitch with facing master pages and 'Clip to Canvas'
- Fixed incorrect duplication of guides from source page when adding pages
- Added Pica units to 'Spread Setup' / 'Add Master Spread' / ruler units menu
-- The ruler units menu is missing on Windows, will be added soon
- Document units are now honoured when setting up bleed in 'Document Setup'
- Fixed master page name editing / commit glitch
- (Mac) Fixed some large UI font issues with 'Add Master Spread' dialog
- (Windows) Fixed glitch adding facing page masters after changing document setup

Tools
- Fixed issue with gradient fill tool with gradients applied to text frames
- Rotation gesture is now disabled by default in Preferences (for Publisher only)
- Fixed issue with stroke weights when pasting between documents with differing DPIs
-- We are aware of other DPI pasting issues, please bear with us
- Fixed instances where Symbols were not detaching correctly

Text
- Changing text frame gutter / column widths no longer changes the frame width
- Added command to distribute column widths equally on a multi-column frame
- It is now possible to link gutter widths on a multi-column frame to keep them in step
-- Changing linked gutter widths can unbalance columns widths, will be fixed soon
- Fixed placement of wrap shape when editing wrap shape of grouped child
- Fixed text wrap issues with vector cropped objects
- Fixes for interaction of text indents and text wrapping
- Fix for calculation of OpenType character widths with certain combinations of attributes
- Fixed for text frame baseline grid not drawing correctly in some cases
- Character Panel decoration line style and Stroke Panel line style now update in sync
- Fix for Text Styles Panel not refreshing after being unhidden
- Fixed auto-resize of text for single lines of text in an overflowing frame
- Fixed crash editing TOC styles after deleting all text styles
- Fixed text AutoFlow issues with pages with pre-existing content
- Updated tool drawing for text flows containing hidden text frames
- Fixed auto hyphenation issues for text with diacritics etc
- Fix for spelling highlight not being updated when applying a Table Format
- Improvements to Title Case / Sentence case for languages other than English
- Selecting text within lists improved
- The 'Next Page Number' text field has been renamed 'Next Frame Page Number'
-- Because this is what it does. Useful for e.g. 'Continued on'
- Fixed crash using some Autocorrect replacements in some languages
- (Windows) The text frame 'Ignore Text Wraps' option is now correctly initialised
- (Windows)Fixed issue reverting text style stylistic set variants to 'No Change'
- (Windows) Fixed issue setting text styles right optical alignment
- (Windows) Fix for words with soft hyphen being shown as misspelled

Resources
- Resource Manager layout improvements
- Fixed crash when cancelling some Resource Manager operations
- Colour space for un-profiled PNGs is now assumed to be sRGB

Tables
- Changing column count using the onscreen control could be unreliable

Export / Print
- Fix for N-Up left / top gaps being ignored
- Better check for space characters when printing (catches Times New Roman 'LSEP')
- Single spread documents can now be exported as individual pages
- Fix for inner bleed not being honoured for leading / trailing pages when exporting to PDF
- (Mac) Book and booklet printing on Mac now honours bleed
- (Windows) Fix for custom print paper dimensions not respecting units

Misc
- (Windows) Fixed Document Thumbnails not displaying in Explorer

As well as the fixes in the earlier updates

ACE!

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

and it's on the autoupdate on Mac OS. Downloaded and installed with no issues. Really enjoying this beta!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Lovely ... thank you team. I particularly like the option to choose the number of pages when creating a new document.

iMac: iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)  -   3.4 GHz Intel Core i5   -   8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4  -  Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB 

Windows: Nvidia GTX 960m 4k UHD 2gb ram video (Windows 10 Pro) -  Laptop screen (resolution 3840x2160 magnified 300%)

2nd Monitor: Phillips 226E9Q HD 1920 x 1080 (125%)

Auto update worked like it should. On Mac.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, AdamW said:

Useful for e.g. 'Continued on'

Is there a way to get such text to be added to a text frame automatically when the text is continued in a linked text box on a different page?

There should also be a matching "Previous Frame Page Number" and ability to add text to top of linked text boxes when the text is continued from a box on a different page ("...continued from page ...").

V. 145 updated perfectly from v. 140.  All previous settings, preferences, docked panels,  and default font settings right there where they should be.   I opened several files, fiddled with them, and saved.  All perfect.  Thank you!!! 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

3 hours ago, fde101 said:

Is there a way to get such text to be added to a text frame automatically when the text is continued in a linked text box on a different page?

There should also be a matching "Previous Frame Page Number" and ability to add text to top of linked text boxes when the text is continued from a box on a different page ("...continued from page ...").

No. It's something we'll add one day (PagePlus has it) but probably not for the first release.

Hello @AdamW thank you for this great update version, just finished the download now after it failed 3 times.
it's installed now and i'm ready to test-drive it and will surely come back here with inputs.

Blessings.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Update installed fine.

I haven't played much to date - but opened the first beta document I tried - this opened fine and seems to have everything I created the first time.

The document has base line grid a multi column text box filled with "Filler Text".

I was going to try out some paragraph styles on this and found that I can't place the cursor within this text - only at the start or the end. This isn't really a bug as it seems that this filler text can keep filling a text box as I expand or contract it, so it seems a deliberate feature. However when I am developing a design document I liek to play with some text and set up some paragraph styles for body copy, headings, etc to test out - I might do this with real text - but also with dummy text. With the automatic "Filler Text" option I can't select any text within this to create or apply styles. My other option would be to grab some text from Lipsum.com (or some other personal standby text) to actually start playing with and developing styles.

Not sure what other people do - but I think I prefer filler text to be editable. I'm not sure having the filler text automatically refilling a text box is as useful to me as being able to develop styles. Usually I have found that if I have made a text box bigger, or linking through to other text boxes, I just add more "Fill text" to fill up the empty space that is left.

Hope that description makes sense! Attaching a screen shot to try to help...

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 10.42.58 pm.png

Or for a universal solution go to Preferences > General and tick the Insert filler text as text checkbox. (Aside, what an odd choice of words text as text, why not filler text as a block of text?)

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/12/2018 at 4:53 PM, AdamW said:

- The 'Next Page Number' text field has been renamed 'Next Frame Page Number'
-- Because this is what it does. Useful for e.g. 'Continued on'

Well, it only detects the NEXT page, not the actual marker of a page of a jumped/continued story.

QuarkXpress have this 'Next Box Page #' marker as it detects the actual page of the continued story, and 'Previous Box Page #' marker, where the story of the page first started or it's like 'Continued from Page #. Same goes to InDesign's 'Next Page Number' and 'Previous Page Number' marker. I wish Publisher have this feature.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.