You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tablet Mode UI idea for Affinity Photo

Hi Affinity!

Had an idea - not sure if it's been mentioned, I tried looking around on the forum but didn't see anything.

I was wondering, would it be possible to have a 'Tablet Mode' interface that the user could toggle? I have a Surface Pro 4 as my main mobile computer and while that's great when I'm at home (connected to my Wacom Cintiq), I was thinking about when I'm out and about. It would be cool if I could open Affinity Photo and go into a 'tablet' mode sorta thing, where maybe the icons are just a bit bigger and there's less on the screen; touch friendly and immersing the user more into drawing/ designing/ whatever they're doing etc.

Further building on that - It would be neat if I could put my Surface into Tablet Mode via the Windows 10 option, and Affinity Photo would switch over into it's own 'Tablet Mode'.

Has this been discussed before ? Just wanted to share that idea :)

Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, AMD RX 580 8GB
Wacom Cintiq 24HD

I 100% agree! I’ve been debating on purchasing a surface book vs an iPad Pro and the first thing I noticed when messing around with the surface book in tablet mode vs the iPad was that I didn’t have the ease of the touch commands such as the two finger tap to undo...I didn’t think it would matter to me so much but it really makes a difference to have that touch friendly layout/commands. I noticed it when messing around with affinity designer( I haven’t tried photo yet...but I can imagine a similar scenario)

I'm also a Surface Pro user and the tablet mode gets my vote as the number 1 feature request.

I mainly use my Surface Pro for digital art. Initially, I saw Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop for retouching photos. But, if I could use this in tablet mode and maximise the screen space, I could see Affinity Photo as a serious tool in my digital art workflow.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:37 PM, Juliae said:

I 100% agree! I’ve been debating on purchasing a surface book vs an iPad Pro and the first thing I noticed when messing around with the surface book in tablet mode vs the iPad was that I didn’t have the ease of the touch commands such as the two finger tap to undo...I didn’t think it would matter to me so much but it really makes a difference to have that touch friendly layout/commands. I noticed it when messing around with affinity designer( I haven’t tried photo yet...but I can imagine a similar scenario)

Glad you agree as well, it would be so awesome to have this feature! :).

Its pretty much the same layout with either or software, but the one thing I do like to do is: go to 'View' from menu and toggle the UI when I'm drawing in pencil. That pretty much pushes everything away and you only see the canvas. It's handy for sure.

By the way - did you decide on the Surface book or iPad pro ? I was in that boat as well (though with the SP4), and ended up going with the SP4 due to having a full operating system :).

Wacom Cintiq 24HD

17 hours ago, mart-Kelly said:

I'm also a Surface Pro user and the tablet mode gets my vote as the number 1 feature request.

I mainly use my Surface Pro for digital art. Initially, I saw Affinity Photo as an alternative to Photoshop for retouching photos. But, if I could use this in tablet mode and maximise the screen space, I could see Affinity Photo as a serious tool in my digital art workflow.

Sweet, that's awesome! Fingers crossed that this is something the team will consider :).

I also saw Affinity Photo as an alternative, especially with how everything is going subscription based. Once I started using it, I realized it can do so much more (which included digital drawing). Now I can't stop mentioning it to people haha.

Wacom Cintiq 24HD

Yeah, I've been using Photoshop as my main tool at work for over 20 years now but didn't want to pay a subscription to use it at home. I've been really impressed with some of the tools. It's like they've just thought about how to do things in a different way. I've been telling all the other retouchers at work about it. It would be really cool if I could use this for digital painting.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, AjaxF said:

Glad you agree as well, it would be so awesome to have this feature! :).

Its pretty much the same layout with either or software, but the one thing I do like to do is: go to 'View' from menu and toggle the UI when I'm drawing in pencil. That pretty much pushes everything away and you only see the canvas. It's handy for sure.

By the way - did you decide on the Surface book or iPad pro ? I was in that boat as well (though with the SP4), and ended up going with the SP4 due to having a full operating system :).

I ended up going with the Surface Pro 6 just because I can use it for many other programs and the ease of file transfer from my camera, or external hard drive. I’ve only had it for a few days but I’m loving it! Do you have any favorite things or tips about the Surface Pro that you would suggest I look into? I haven’t used anything Microsoft based in a very long time. 

I'm going to express my interest on this feature as well, in specific, I'd like Affinity to port the iOS interface to Windows in tablet mode.

I was waiting for yesterday's Apple event to see if the new iPads were a good buy before deciding. Technically, the new iPads are really great, but then I saw the prices and that killed the idea right there. The base model (64Gb, barely enough to work with) went from 750€ to 910€! The Apple Pencil went from 99€ to 135€! That's almost a 200€ increase in price! That makes the a base model iPad more expensive than a Surface Pro... I can't justify it as I already have a Surface Pro anyway.

So, a way to use the Affinity apps as touch friendly drawing tools would be great, and the UI already exists, which may help.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Want to add my vote of support for this too. I know the devs have said they have no plans, but I'd like to request they at least table this for discussion in their long term plans for UI development.

Having a unified touch and pen interface would be beneficial for all Affinity products, as it would deliver a consistent and intuitive experience to new users with modern devices. It might be difficult now, but I believe the long term benefits in terms of development efficiency and user experience would pay off.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I would like to add my vote in support of this request. Something that is sorely needed for Windows OS users are more drawing/painting applications with minimal interfaces for tablet use. I already use my tablet for the desktop applications already, but if there was some type of "tablet mode" that I could switch to while on my windows PC that would be a game changer. I wouldn't need to consider other applications such as Leonardo, which are more tablet friendly-I could stay with Affinity Trinity for all my needs.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, Desi7 said:

Can this please become a feature?

I'm afraid that even with the small number of users of these devices, it will not have high preferences among developers.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.