You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text insertion and text frame boundry

I have enclosed 2 screen shots, can't find a wat to rectify this at the moment.  First Screenshot is that on every bit of text  i am importing fro widows 10 word (not notepad) the right side of the text frame simply will not come in nestled to the right side text, as it does on the left.   The second screen shot is a first, I make a text frame (not artistic tool)  and left align and begin to type, see history panel I included, the text is simply going down the right side ot the text frame and outside it.  Justify or centre align have no effect on its position either.

Just to say guys a really nice UI and some great handiwork in some of the features. Well done.

Capture.PNG

text.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

For the first one, it looks like you've drawn a text frame, with columns, to cover a double-page spread,  but made it too big. You should have the columns  and gutters lined up with your page margins. And it looks like, on the right column, it was bounded by the page margin as I would expect it to be.

For the second one, a sample .afpub file would  help. You've got something set wrong, but without a file it will be very difficult to guess what. Probably something in the Character panel, is about all I can guess from that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi walt, for the first one, no I do not have columns anywhere in the document.  Each page is just one text on the left page and one text on the right page. They are facing pages.  This phenomenon has happened on every singlepage no matter the size ofthe text frame.

For the second one, yes, something is wrong because no matter where I set an empty text frame in the booklet and try to type this is what happens.  Needless to say I have been working in word processing for years, and this really is a first.  Sending you the whole booklet would be impossible, maybe a single page somehow?  

Yep Walt this is not normal, No way this is a bug in the software.  (Referring to the text going vertical outside the text frame.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

5 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Hi walt, for the first one, no I do not have columns anywhere in the document.  Each page is just one text on the left page and one text on the right page. They are facing pages.  This phenomenon has happened on every singlepage no matter the size ofthe text frame. 

For the second one, yes, something is wrong because no matter where I set an empty text frame in the booklet and try to type this is what happens.  Needless to say I have been working in word processing for years, and this really is a first.  Sending you the whole booklet would be impossible, maybe a single page somehow?  

For the first one, the visible nodes (corner nodes, and especially the top rotation node and the lower-right resizing node) seem to indicate a single text frame spanning both pages of the facing spread. If that's not what you think you have, again, please provide a sample .afpub file.

For the second, any size sample that demonstrates it will do. (Ideally one with no proprietary/confidential data, of course. For anything non-public you would need to send it to Serif and get detailed help only from the Serif staff :) )

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt, for the first one no, the left page has its own text frame and the right page is also limited to its own text frame, every seperate A5 page is like this, a frame on the left and a frame on right here is single page to show what I mean.  Also I have prepared a file for upload, how do I do that please have not got a clue.

Capture.PNG

Yes, that is one text frame, as you can see from the nodes. Compare them with the nodes in your first screenshot above, which (based on them) seems to be a single frame.

When posting, you should see a link that says "click to choose files" which you can use to attach your .afpub file.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt, No No No, sorry that is just two frames overlapping that's all.  I will upload the file, but the above problem with the right side of the text frame refusing to come in without pushing the text down is a serious issue on every single page.  Sorry for the italics??   I will upload the file.  I thought that it would be done differently that's all.  Hope you see something.  Please9_9  I just uploaded the file as I would a screen shot and clicked on it and it went straight to my computer, the file was linked to my hard drive -- what the heck was that???  Just removed it from this site.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

I just uploaded the file as I would a screen shot and clicked on it and it went straight to my computer, the file was linked to my hard drive -- what the heck was that???  Just removed it from this site.

No idea. Sorry. Try again, and leave it alone, and if it doesn't work for the rest of us maybe someone will know why :)

-- Walt
PC:

Good morning Walt, here is the offending file with also the text frame issue where the right side sqishes the text vertically when attempting to manually to frame to text, one spread sheet only enclosed.

PreMag_A5_one sheet.afpub

Wow, I never did that, that is weired because I have not used any first line indents throughout this whole document, I have no custom paragraph settigs at all.  Seriously and honestly.  Also I just made several new text boxes and they all came out with a 12.7 first line indent and the following left indent also at 12.7.  Makesno sense .  But a big thankyou for pointing that out to me, I appreciate your time thankyou.   Just the spacebar issue now on the other document and the leading.

10 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Wow, I never did that,

This might be coming from the Word document. That's why it's very important to understand that the Word files carry with them formatting instructions, unless you save it as .rtf or .txt file.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Possible, but my other document is filled with imported text from word pad. Thanks Seneca.  Just noticed affinity placing a negative value right side indent when I make a text frame, no idea.  I will have to stop using word pad, I hate microsoft, miss my txt in apple mac.  I miss my apple mac. :x

Sorry Gabriel that is on another post.