You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image corruption when using Apple RAW Engine

Hi - I am stuck a little here. When I import RAW files from Photos with the Apple RAW engine switched on in Assistant the first image usually goes in OK but then subsequent images fail - either black screen or a multi pane effect with parts of the image in each. Switching to Serif engine fixes this but the images appear underexposed and flat. Images are taken on an EOS 80D in manual mode. Any suggestions of workarounds or fixes please?

• Staff

Hi Warmington Paul :)

According to Apples RAW list, the Canon EOS 80D is only supported in the 'Canon RAW format only'. Do you have your camera saving to a different RAW format, or have you converted the images to DNGs?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi Warmington Paul :)

According to Apples RAW list, the Canon EOS 80D is only supported in the 'Canon RAW format only'. Do you have your camera saving to a different RAW format, or have you converted the images to DNGs?

Hi - no - standard Canon xx.CR2 RAW, been using it with iPhotos and now Photos for 2 years with no issues at all. All is fine in Apple's own editor its just when I jump out into Affinity

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, could you please provide me with a couple of sample RAW images to the following link? I'll certainly look into this for you! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/aA41NY0CEgrYiMW09oi5

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

25 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that, could you please provide me with a couple of sample RAW images to the following link? I'll certainly look into this for you! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/aA41NY0CEgrYiMW09oi5

On their way now - I have seen this problem raised by a couple of other people without any workaround suggested - hence the trip to the forums. 

• Staff
18 hours ago, Warmington Paul said:

That option does not seem to be available - Affinity is greyed out in the list of Apps

There should be no list of apps when following (File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original) in Apple Photos app, as this should export your RAW file to a file on your Mac that you can then open directly in Affinity, rather than through Apple Photos.

I'll look into this using your RAW files and come back to you shortly :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, Dan C said:

There should be no list of apps when following (File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original) in Apple Photos app, as this should export your RAW file to a file on your Mac that you can then open directly in Affinity, rather than through Apple Photos.

I'll look into this using your RAW files and come back to you shortly :) 

Thanks - I slightly misunderstood the original question. I have taken the RAW files directly to desktop and opened them from there, rather than using Photos external editors, same result. Using the Apple engine, the file opens correctly occasionally, but then starts showing as a multi panel type effect - imagine the image split into quadrants and randomly displayed or repeated. Using Serif the image opens looking ok but is very dark, or flat, and can’t really be corrected in editing.

• Staff

No problem, thanks for confirming that.

I've been opening and closing the RAW files in Affinity from both Apple Photos and directly as RAW files from my desktop and I'm yet unable to replicate this.

Could you provide a screen recording of this happening? I understand it's only occasionally so if not possible then not to worry. You can record your Mac screen using the following instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Another option is to reset your app to defaults, as this may fix the issue, however this is only a possibility as I'm running default settings and not receiving the same issue.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Please note -

Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem, thanks for confirming that.

I've been opening and closing the RAW files in Affinity from both Apple Photos and directly as RAW files from my desktop and I'm yet unable to replicate this.

Could you provide a screen recording of this happening? I understand it's only occasionally so if not possible then not to worry. You can record your Mac screen using the following instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Another option is to reset your app to defaults, as this may fix the issue, however this is only a possibility as I'm running default settings and not receiving the same issue.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Here you go - this is the screen movie - image is dragged in with Serif set - OK but dull. then assistant reset to Apple and image corrupted. I then open Photos to show the native image. By the way - I have also done the reset to defaults.

• Staff

Thank you for your video and for confirming that. Are you running High Sierra on your Mac please? I've found similar issues reported previously when running High Sierra and using the Apple RAW engine.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Okay, it seems to have followed with Apple's latest update then, that's very useful information for our devs, thank you.

I'll log this against the issues already raised when using Apples RAW engine and certain images/setups and hopefully it will be fixed shortly :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

19 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Okay, it seems to have followed with Apple's latest update then, that's very useful information for our devs, thank you.

I'll log this against the issues already raised when using Apples RAW engine and certain images/setups and hopefully it will be fixed shortly :)

No - the problem was there long before the upgrade, it may have first surfaced with a High Sierra however. When I googled the issue before the switch from Apple to Serif was suggested which I used for a while but the seemingly flat and underexposed imports started to become annoying.