You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding Affinity Photo files possible?

Just exploring Affinity Designer embedding option, really cool tool! Is it possible embedding an Affinity Photo document, so by double clicking placed picture that can be edited with Affinity Photo? That would really be a very good option, ........ if possible at all!

• Staff

Hi Kobold,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, you can drag a file (from Finder) or use the Place Image tool to embed an .afphoto file in Affinity Designer.

Currently, If you double-click it, Affinity Designer will open the document in a new tab for editing (since it's able to work with afphoto files too).

You can also send the entire document from one app to the other using File ▹ Edit in Photo (or Designer - depending the app you're in) from the menu (this only works between the Betas of Affinity Designer and Photo).

Okay, I totally missed that Beta info, I been reading your answer too fast and ........ sorry, did not get that one:

(this only works between the Betas of Affinity Designer and Photo)

Thanks, will try that with beta version. Very cool tool, very helpful for many options.

Hi again, I tried that, and it works. As I can see modification of placed file is only possible via Designer, right?

I thought it might be possible using the source application for modifying the placed file. An example I tried: I have a small cardboard box I took a photo, and now I want to make a simulation of a printed box with text and images. These have to be in perspective, and with Designer I don´t see a perspective tool, but with Photo there is a tool. So I thought about using that tool in a Designer document by placing a Photo file.

Any idea, or help about that? Is a perspective Tool planned for Designer too?