You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Superscript minus sign etal

Hi,

I was wishing to superscript the -1 after ms-1 ( metres per second). I used the superscript icon within Character dialogue window. Whilst the 1 was superscripted, the minus sign was not. Upon further investigation, I found the same problem with plus sign. In addition, when two letters are selected neither of the will be superscripted. Further, I found similar problems with subscripting.

Test data: ms-1, ms+1, ms ?1, msaa.

The number characters are superscripted, letter characters are not.

This is reversed for subscript.

Arial was the font used.

This works as it should for both super and subscript in Affinity Designer and Photo.  

• Staff

Hi @Eileen,

How do you superscript?

Using the Typography options, you will only get the superscript if the font has got superscript characters. If not, it will not superscript them. 

Using the Position and Transform option, it will "fake" superscript them ( basically shrinking and moving their position ) regardless of the actual built-in superscript characters. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

image.png.4ca26a5f501a3c0331f5f449b4716fe3.png

To make it clear: the dropdown marked '1' is for synthesized superscript and subscript; glyphs become smaller and are placed further up or down. The buttons marked '2' are for OpenType subscript and superscript. These only work when the font has these glyphs AND the corresponding font features.

Some fonts have these OpenType variants, but very few have variants for every letter, digit and mark. I actually have a font (Calluna) that offers OpenType superscripts but no subscripts. So I use the synthetic versions to keep them visually the same.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.