Jump to content
mycroft

create List of Figures (or other image types)

Recommended Posts

In a long text document I have a number of different image types I wish to caption.

I want to be able to automatically number these — for example:

Figure 1. Lorem ipsum.

Figure 2. Alice went down.

Chart 1. Latin alphabet.

Chart 2. Characters in Alice.

Map 1. Holy Roman Empire.

Map 2. The rabbit hole.

Question 1.)  I am trying to create named text styles for these: Font, size, style, automatic numbers (presumably based on whether I name my style Figure Title, Chart Title, Map Title), etc.

How do I get the word "Figure" or "Chart"  or "Map" to appear before the automatic number? It seems no matter what I do, the sequence is:  1. Figure. ;  1. Chart. ; etc..  I do not see where or how to add an automatic field with the necessary label before an auto number,  then to be followed by individual identifying text in each caption title, terminated by a period.

I would usually be adding longer explanatory text after the period, but in a different style such as Caption Body. That is, my actual caption (title + body) might be:

      Map 2. The rabbit hole. Map and cross-section showing the various locations Alice entered, including citations for actual chapters in Carroll's  book.  

Question 2.)  If I am able to create these styles, then what is the procedure to create a "List of Figures", "List of Charts", "List of Maps" — with page numbers —  (in addition to my TOC created by Heading styles) at the beginning of my long document? I would presume this might be in the TOC creation panel, based on searching for the 3 text styles I created when adding the image titles. The longer explanatory text, being in a different style (Caption Body), should not appear in these lists of image titles. 

I have not found this addressed in the manual. I think my answer is already in there, but I do not see where/how. I need help with some sort of step-by-step process; I am clearly missing something.

Thanks for this very interesting program.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really doubt that it is going to be possible now or in the future. This is best done outside of the Layout program Generate the text using a script and then import into the Publisher file. Or just generate the text by hand in a text program if it is just a few titles and captions.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.2 | Affinity Photo 1.9.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.2 | Beta versions as they appear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mycroft said:

How do I get the word "Figure" or "Chart"  or "Map" to appear before the automatic number? It seems no matter what I do, the sequence is:  1. Figure. ;  1. Chart. ; etc..  I do not see where or how to add an automatic field with the necessary label before an auto number,  then to be followed by individual identifying text in each caption title, terminated by a period.

You should be able to place the caret at the start of the list's Text field and type there. Either click with the mouse, or use the cursor keys to move the caret back and forth, like a normal text entry field.

 

7 hours ago, mycroft said:

I would usually be adding longer explanatory text after the period, but in a different style such as Caption Body.

You can apply a different character style to it manually. You might be able to base the list style on Caption Body and then use Initial Words to get the short identifying text formatted differently, or you might not. I'm not sure if it is flexible enough for you.

 

7 hours ago, mycroft said:

Question 2.)  If I am able to create these styles, then what is the procedure to create a "List of Figures", "List of Charts", "List of Maps" — with page numbers —  (in addition to my TOC created by Heading styles) at the beginning of my long document? I would presume this might be in the TOC creation panel, based on searching for the 3 text styles I created when adding the image titles. The longer explanatory text, being in a different style (Caption Body), should not appear in these lists of image titles.

You can have a separate Table of Contents for each list, but there's currently no way to automatically exclude the Caption Body text from it. It will always include the whole paragraph. You can delete the unwanted text manually, but you'll have to do that again whenever the TOC is regenerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mycroft said:

In a long text document I have a number of different image types I wish to caption.

I want to be able to automatically number these — for example:

Figure 1. Lorem ipsum.

Figure 2. Alice went down.

Chart 1. Latin alphabet.

Chart 2. Characters in Alice.

Map 1. Holy Roman Empire.

Map 2. The rabbit hole.

Question 1.)  I am trying to create named text styles for these: Font, size, style, automatic numbers (presumably based on whether I name my style Figure Title, Chart Title, Map Title), etc.

How do I get the word "Figure" or "Chart"  or "Map" to appear before the automatic number? It seems no matter what I do, the sequence is:  1. Figure. ;  1. Chart. ; etc..  I do not see where or how to add an automatic field with the necessary label before an auto number,  then to be followed by individual identifying text in each caption title, terminated by a period.

I would usually be adding longer explanatory text after the period, but in a different style such as Caption Body. That is, my actual caption (title + body) might be:

      Map 2. The rabbit hole. Map and cross-section showing the various locations Alice entered, including citations for actual chapters in Carroll's  book.  

Question 2.)  If I am able to create these styles, then what is the procedure to create a "List of Figures", "List of Charts", "List of Maps" — with page numbers —  (in addition to my TOC created by Heading styles) at the beginning of my long document? I would presume this might be in the TOC creation panel, based on searching for the 3 text styles I created when adding the image titles. The longer explanatory text, being in a different style (Caption Body), should not appear in these lists of image titles. 

I have not found this addressed in the manual. I think my answer is already in there, but I do not see where/how. I need help with some sort of step-by-step process; I am clearly missing something.

Thanks for this very interesting program.

 

Hello,

Here is my setting which work well as you want for numbering figure. The blue square (and I thinkl it's a bug) is for \# corresponding to current level.

If you have several figures on a same page you should put the last one on top of layers panel and the first one on bottom.

Hope this helps.

 

figure numering style.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.