You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Choose where to sample from for Flood Select and Flood Fill

Whenever I want to make a fill on a new layer, I am forced to go to the layer that provides the colors I want to sample from, make a selection there, then go back to my empty layer and then color the selection. This is kind of a lot of work for a fairly basic functionality that is crucial for coloring line art, where you have to create lots of separate color layers.

I know painting is not your priority, but from another point of view, seeing how you like to advertise this non-destructive workflow (which I LOVE btw!), I do not see much use for a tool that is only able to realize its full potential (namely edge detection with tolerance) when it is allowed to overwrite your base layer.

• 2 weeks later...

Which Application are you using, Photo or Designer? I have no difficulty using the colour picker as long as the colour I want to sample is visible. In both Photo and Designer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I assume Photo judging from the forum section, and I don't think it's the color picker Fantail is talking about. In other painting programs, there is an option to make bucket fills on layers separate from the line art layer. The bucket tool or selection tools would usually have an option that says, "All Layers," which means artists could color straight on top of empty layers using the closed-in areas from others currently displayed. Since Affinity does not have that option (except for the Selection Brush Tool), Fantail is switching back and forth from the different layers; making the selections and then coloring them in.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 10/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, Fantail said:

Whenever I want to make a fill on a new layer, I am forced to go to the layer that provides the colors I want to sample from, make a selection there, then go back to my empty layer and then color the selection.

What forces you to do that? For me, the color picker will sample from any layer (actually, from anywhere on the screen, even outside the Affinity window).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I wanted to do the same thing in the past as well.

When you create your line art, is it vector line art or raster line art? Because if vector, something you could do is duplicate the layer, and then make the stroke size of the one underneath smaller, rasterize it, and then add your fills. I know it's not as convenient as the way you want, but still.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I see. It would so helpful if the Flood Fill Tool and Flood Selection Tool had that All Layers option available.

• 7 months later...