You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy / Paste Layer Effects

29 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Hmmm... Windows? Mac? 
On my iPad Pro 12.9” with iPadOS13 beta 4 and latest Aff Designer it works as expected...

Windows. See my signature.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 4:03 AM, MEB said:

Hi m-b,

You're right, there's still a few issues here. I've logged them to be looked at.

I've also filled an improvement request to add this to Designer.

Thanks for your report.

This is still an issue in 2019. Copies all instead of just the style. Also doesn't copy the style across to the new layer exactly. One layer the shadow has a radius of 29, the paste is 30; offset 18 and then paste 19.5.

I want to copy the exactly amount to another layer without the program changing it for me. 

Edited by Gidgii

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I'm getting a similar but different issue.  When I copy a text layer that has effects on it and paste it elsewhere on the document it appears to have all the original effects as designed.  But when I go to print the document the text no longer shows all of the effects from the original copied design.  It seems fairly random as to where the effects are correctly applied or not.  Sometimes it's on the original, sometimes it's not.  It's driving me nuts. After copying and pasting and moving layers to try and fix this I can't chase down the original layer and I can't fix the layers that aren't showing up correctly because the settings all appear to be correct but when they are sent to print they most definitely are not correct.  This is a HUGE problem for me.  I'm having to start from scratch and I still don't know what is causing the problem.  

Yes, one has to be careful work aeound this problem or else you muss up everything.

I don't really understand why Serif decided not to fix this problem that existiert for many years now. Sad.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Sorry, but you can’t use the shortcut for paste, you must use the menu command ”paste FX”... 

Cmd+Shift+V is Paste Style. And you're right, if they want Paste FX that isn't it :)

On Mac, Paste FX should have the keyboard shortcut Opt+Shift+V, I think. (It's Alt+Shift+V on Windows.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

Copy FX issue:

No sure, but the the Copy past FX doen not work anymore in my version : Affiny Photo 1.8.3.641
It copies, but the settings are messed up.
I copied the fx from the top layer (Edit, copy) to the lower image layer (Paste FX) and it made some complete different effect.

Did someone else also get this problem or is there something else going wrong?

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, WMax70 said:

Copy FX issue:
No sure, but the the Copy past FX doen not work anymore in my version : Affiny Photo 1.8.3.641
It copies, but the settings are messed up.
I copied the fx from the top layer (Edit, copy) to the lower image layer (Paste FX) and it made some complete different effect.

I have run across this same problem. I'm using version 1.8.3 for Windows. Alt+Shift+V does paste the layer effect, but it does not duplicate the settings as expected. I don't know how the program is making its decision about which slider values to transfer. For example, I select "copy" for an object whose Outside Shadow effect slider settings are (top to bottom): 

21%, 43.2px, 36.4px, 0%

When I attempt to paste the layer effect to another object, the slider settings (again, top to bottom) are:

21%, 16.8px, 14.2px, 0%

At first I thought this must be happening because the source object's layer effect had the 'scale with object' check-box selected. But when I un-checked the box and tried again, I got the same result. It might be a feature and not a bug, but if it's a feature I'm at pains to know why I'd want to use it—I'll end up having to open the dialog and adjust all the settings anyway, just as if I were adding the effect entirely from scratch. No time-savings there.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

On 7/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, WMax70 said:

Copy FX issue:
Did someone else also get this problem or is there something else going wrong?

Perhaps we will find this has changed in version 1.8.5?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...