You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not suitable for production use

• Staff

Hey (I:U),

When I saw the title of this post, I wasn't sure wha to expect but then read the body of the forum post and was pleasantly surprised you feel happy with it so far :D We obviously still don't recommend using it for production use... but we can't stop you! 

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and vote of confidence. It's always nice to read the positives and I'm sure the developers will be chuffed to know they're doing a good job B|

Chris,
I was both anxious/happy
to take the risk of using AFP for real production.
But code is never "finished" and—IMHO—the developers
are doing a great and very promising job. Congrats+ to them ;-!)
In case somebody is curious about it, here is a link to (4.6Mb) PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1kvkx2w1sh09dy/SPIDI-PR.pdf?dl=0

• Staff
12 minutes ago, (I:U) said:

are doing a great and very promising job.

Thanks for the kind words, but this is a very fluid time in the development process (60+ new fixes will be in this week's beta build alone, hopefully available tomorrow).

To other readers of this thread, the main reason why we would not suggest that any beta build is used for Production use is that we are not necessarily save/load safe. We cannot guarantee that files saved in one beta will load into the next. So you risk losing access to your production work ( unless you stick with that build ) Now while we try really hard to make sure we do this ONLY if we have to, but the beta may find problems that can only be solved with a feature rethink. So please do try out Affinity Publisher to mock up your work but be aware that until the product is for sale the file format may (very small chance but may) change irreversibly without prior warning. We would never do this to paying customers and would always honour files created in official release builds.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, (I:U) said:

Chris,
I was both anxious/happy
to take the risk of using AFP for real production.
are doing a great and very promising job. Congrats+ to them ;-!)
In case somebody is curious about it, here is a link to (4.6Mb) PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1kvkx2w1sh09dy/SPIDI-PR.pdf?dl=0

I don’t want to worry you, but I unfortunately have to say, that checking your document with Acrobat Pro, it spits out tons of alerts – starting from • RGB images, over • wrongly defined [black], especially in typo elements, • missing bleed, although containing edge-to edge- images • images of insufficient resolution up to • way to high ink coverage • absent PDF standard as output intent and much, much more. :)

Congrats to the printing company, to correct these issues „on the fly“. :)

Please, don’t feel offended, it really doesn’t mean that. I simply wanted to check your document out of curiosity. But I have to say, that the culprit for the issues within this document aren’t caused by Affinity Publisher, but by the person in front of the screen … :):)

Thanks Patrick for your feedback.
I am 100% with you about the "official" warning...
This example is just here to say: for some kind of documents,
with some kind of safety net in a personal production process,
Affinity Publisher could right now be almost operational ;)

Dear mac_heibu.
Thanks for checking, but you know what?
Nobody told here that the PDF for sample
was the one "printed". The preview version
is just linked to give some idea about
the number of pages, images, etc.
Real document is perfectly printed,
don't worry about it ;-))
Just my two cents.

Ok. I thought, if you are talking in this thread about print results, you give us the print PDF to have a look at and/or check/validate the result.

To give us anything else has no real significance to judge quality of Publisher. But if you like it this way – ok! :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.