You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart Objects convert to Affinity .afphoto or .afdesigner

Looks like you can edit placed files in a document and have them update on save, similar to the way Smart Objects work in Photoshop. I haven't tried it, but here's a tutorial from Affinity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLqPhlRrvTM

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer both have this feature.

Hi,

As it seems possible to use a Affinity kind of "Smart Objects" in Photo and Designer, I wonder why it's not implemented in a way that when you open a PSD in Affinity containing "Smart Objects" it automatically converts in the same way as in the above video tutorial and all you have to do is save it in .afphoto or afdesign to continue working on it?

Regards,

David

PSD is more or less a proprietary file format which has been enhanced with many Adobe related custom parts over the years. Meaning here, that not everything used inside PSD files is officially documented in such a way, that third parties can make any further use out of it easily or then resemble every PS functionality.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Well smart objects are layers, the image data of raster or vector images or even other linked objects. You would need to be able to parse and interpret those (...all individual settings and effects) in a propper manner from inside of the PSD file format and that's the overall main difficulty here. I don't know if there is any third party PSD file parser available who is able to extract all this in a graceful manner, I somehow doubt this.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

If you have created designs etc as Smart Objects in PS,  I would guess that, for the most part, you would be able to use the rasterized version in your Afinity projects. For the other you shoud be able to recreate the equivalent in Affinity.

John-

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 9 months later...

Adding to @v_kyr comment about "Well smart objects are layers, the image data of raster or vector images or even other linked objects." Yes, this is true but they can also be full-blown PSD when opened. Meaning I can import a multilayered PSD as a smart object and your current document seems to automatically assign it's own identifier so that the original isn't affected. Seems like it bakes in a copy. You'll notice when you double click that PSD smart object and it' opens up the file name shows the new identifier, which is usually a string of numbers. 

• 8 months later...

New Affinity user, after seeing that it had support for PSDs, I just assumed that it had support for Smart Objects and went ahead and purchased. Was really disappointed to find that all of the mockups I use to present my design are now broken. 

Thanks however for the excellent spot with Photopea... at least now I can prep my artwork in Affinity, and then when I want to present it in a mockup, just drop it into the mockup with Photopea... and it's free. :)

33 minutes ago, Kurt Farrar said:

New Affinity user, after seeing that it had support for PSDs, I just assumed that it had support for Smart Objects and went ahead and purchased. Was really disappointed to find that all of the mockups I use to present my design are now broken. 

Thanks however for the excellent spot with Photopea... at least now I can prep my artwork in Affinity, and then when I want to present it in a mockup, just drop it into the mockup with Photopea... and it's free. :)

Wekcine to the Serif Affinity forums, Kurt.

You perhaps need to set an option in your Designer and Photo Preferences:

image.png.9911ca98ce0617b9a7f621ec6c40fafc.png

This will not be perfect, but it should get you closer to what you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to thank you all for this topic...

I was quite interested to buy Affinity and convert my psd files, but was disappointed by the Vector Smart Objects rasterized (don't judge me, I use a lot of these in my psd :) )
So, regarding the solution with Photopea, it did the trick needed...

Amazing, farewell Adobe :)