You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find & Replace Tool for Affinity Designer

Hi,

Before publisher arrived I was designing menus in Affinity Designer.  I spent alot of time scrawling through text to find a particular word as there isn’t a Find & Replace tool. With the arrival of Affinity Publisher this feature is available which is Fantastic but it would be really helpful to have this feature in Affinity Designer too as it does really help to speed up the job when searching through lots of text. I know I can now design menus in Publisher but while it’s still in Beta mode and for older menus that need updating in an Affinity Designer doc it would be good to have this option. 

Thanks for your help. 

UkeyD

Having the standard Find and Replace functionality in Designer is critical for us as well.  We waste a huge amount of time having to manually search through lots of text and of course we can't be certain to find all the instances without a basic search tool.

Is there a reason this basic functionality is missing from Designer? 

Is there a plan to add it to Designer in the near future?

Both these posts refer to Affinity Designer, but have been posted to the Affinity Photo area of the Suggestions forum.

Perhaps they should be moved?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, jimdoria said:

I was afraid of this. Came here to see if Designer had it and I'd just missed it.

I have Designer files with thousands of words of text, manually searching just will not work. 😵

Hopefully this will be something that can be added soon. 

With that much text, you might want to consider using Publisher, which is more suited to text-heavy documents in several ways.

Serif has, so far, shown no sign of wanting to add the Publisher-specific text functions such as Find and Replace to the other Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm speechless to see it confirmed here. I thought it was me not finding the Finda&Replace dialog. Utterly unbelievable... and if it is a move to push toward buying Publisher too... well.. that's cheap! So come on Serif, add Find&Replace and Font Replacement in Designer.

I hear ya'll. Just found it again. Happily I have a Publisher at hand, but one thing I dont understand, and it doesnt belong here - is why I can switch from Publisher to Designer persona, but not vice versa? I have to reopen file in Publisher just to change 50 words in 2clicks. Since I already have paid for full v1 and v2 suite, why the heck can't I access those basic functions. Since I work on prepairing product labels, I have to use different artboards. I was considering using Publisher, but working on pages where I have 3 different labels to each product I was even considering it, but decided against. Now I'm beining punished by myself :D

1 hour ago, mrqasq said:

Happily I have a Publisher at hand, but one thing I dont understand, and it doesnt belong here - is why I can switch from Publisher to Designer persona, but not vice versa?

You can easily switch from Designer to Publisher by going to File->Edit in Publisher.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

yes I know that, and thats how I go by, but it's just curious, why publisher is able to have 3 personas, and other two don't. This bugs me :D Once I got full suite, why not add those other 2 personas to all 3 softwares. The button would not only close file in one program and open in another, but would just combine them into one. I know that with publisher we would like to work with pixel/vector/pages and thus it makes sense to have those 3 inside one app, but our usages differ from person to person, and I find myself constantly fighting in my head which software should I use for specific task, and usualy during work I keep asking myself same question - why did I choose designer and not publisher :D For me Publsiher would be perfect if I could temporaly switch off pages completly or get proper artboards functionality built-in.

1 hour ago, mrqasq said:

For me Publsiher would be perfect if I could temporaly switch off pages completly or get proper artboards functionality built-in.

You have Artboard functionality if you use the Designer Persona in Publisher. And if you want to create a document that has Artboards:

1. Switch to the Designer Persona in Publisher.
  2. File > New
  3. Uncheck option for Default Master Page and make sure Number of Pages is 1.
  4. Check option for Create Artboard.
  5. Click Create.

Or, Open a Template file that contains Artboards.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1