You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to 'lock' a group so that it cannot be ungrouped accidentally when ungrouping with other grouped objects?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi MEB - I don't understand this answer. Why can't a group be locked on the layers panel? Obviously it can still be selected using the layers panel, but it won't be selected using the page/artboard area. Maybe I misunderstand jackamus's question.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Understood. This could be a good feature to add to the features list!

There is another issue associated with this that I often have to deal with.

Lets assume I have a serious of grouped objects which I later resize as a whole group (enlarge). I then make some changes to some of the objects and then want to resize (reduce) back to a size where one of the objects (a circle) needs to go back to its original size.  Selecting the Infinity' symbol in the Transformation tab is a very good way proportionally reduce the whole group but I want to re-proportion the whole group back to the original size of the circle object.

I would call this resizing 'Conditional resizing according to one object or one group'.

This sounds really complicated so if you do not understand it I'm sure you will let me know.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Actually this sound right. I could lock the group layer withing a larger set of groups. Without trying it I think this would solve my problem.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff

If I understood correctly the OP wants to "lock" a group to prevent it from being accidentally ungrouped when unlocking a bunch of groups. If the groups were selected from the Layers panel and you issue an ungroup command all selected groups will be ungrouped - including the locked group - thus my reply above. If the groups are selected from the canvas this is a moot point because locked groups can't be selected on canvas.

I did just try it and although it locks the group layer I cannot move the group which I would need to. So back to the drawing board!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

38 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Lets assume I have a serious of grouped objects which I later resize as a whole group (enlarge). I then make some changes to some of the objects and then want to resize (reduce) back to a size where one of the objects (a circle) needs to go back to its original size.  Selecting the Infinity' symbol in the Transformation tab is a very good way proportionally reduce the whole group but I want to re-proportion the whole group back to the original size of the circle object.

I would call this resizing 'Conditional resizing according to one object or one group'. 

The only way I can think of doing this is to duplicate the circle and colour it red (or whatever) before you do any scaling. Move it to a new base layer and then lock it. Then after you make your changes to the other items, group them andvisually transform them so the old circle fits to the coloured circle. I'm not aware of any software that can do what you want to directly.

34 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I did just try it and although it locks the group layer I cannot move the group which I would need to. So back to the drawing board! 

Could you send a screenshot to clarify what you are trying to do?

Thanks for that and I'm glad you understood the question. However that is basically what I'm doing at the moment. I draw the circle at its correct size and then move two guides to touch either side of the circle. I then resize the whole group until the grouped circle fits between the guides.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

46 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Could you send a screenshot to clarify what you are trying to do?

Can you understand this?268043490_Proportionalresizing.thumb.jpg.7fc35f05b46a7d8432461f21c5fd4901.jpg

Proportional resizing.jpg

Edited by jackamus
Wrong screen shot

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

s it possible to 'lock' a group so that it cannot be ungrouped accidentally when ungrouping with other grouped objects?

It was the above question that I quite understand but maybe previous posts have clarified it.