You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Correction with X-Rite Colorchecker Passport

First of all X-Rite-1 is now "Calibrite" any software or FW updates can be found here:
https://calibrite.com/us/product-category/photographers/

I agree that the Colorchecker passport is still a missing feature in Affinity Photo and I also use Lightroom for it.
With it I also got Photoshop. It's a real problem for Affinity because you cannot buy Lightroom separatly and if anyone needs lightroom, they also get Photoshop.
Why would most than buy Affinity additionally? 

I'm nevertheless not a real fan from lightroom.
It has excellent toolsets, no doubt and I also use it, but as a Nikon shooter, the noise reduction and raw conversion from lightroom is not comparable with caputure one and or Nikon Studio NX. I really prefer to work from Nikons Studio NX or Capture one as raw convertors and then bringing in the tiff file in Affinity photo.
Here Nikon Studio NX is more comparable with Adobe bridge and capture one much more with lightroom.

The Raw importer of Affinity is really bad. Sorry to say, but it really cannot convert colors correct / as intended. 

However if you go in with tiff files, I find affinty awesome. 

About color correction.
What you can do is creating ICC profiles with colorpasport's own sofware, but you must have TIFF files to be able to create the ICC.
You can use the ICC file for color correction. It's a workaround but there is at least a chance to get it right that way.

Here below some instructions I found w.r.t. how it works from Capture one, but if you do the same kind of steps in Affinty, it also works.
The only thing is that you should do the raw conversion outside Affinity with eg capture one or Nikon Studio NX / Nikon Capture NX-D. 
If you take a license per year, Capture one is cheaper than Lightroom and is much better. With Capture one you also can choose for no subscription, just buying the actual version.

Hope this helps

or more detailed

I am pretty sure all those color checker special tools and applications are basically LUT transforms.     So my guess the existing LUT filter  in Affinity could do  exactly same.   You floodfill a photo of your checker with what  color values  it supposed  to  show.  I have  those values printed  on backside of my $10 noname carton checker from China. And then use this corrected image as a target picture  for  building  LUT preset  with maximum quality  slider .    

Seems like working   for me

• 9 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, kirk23 said:

I am pretty sure all those color checker special tools and applications are basically LUT transforms.     So my guess the existing LUT filter  in Affinity could do  exactly same.   You floodfill a photo of your checker with what  color values  it supposed  to  show.  I have  those values printed  on backside of my $10 noname carton checker from China. And then use this corrected image as a target picture  for  building  LUT preset  with maximum quality  slider .    

Seems like working   for me

They're not LUT transform. 

Calibrate/X-rite allows you capture a colour profile that can then be matched from camera (or multiple cameras) to computer/screen to printer accurately. You can add a LUT or filter on afterwards, but if you shoot product, you need colour accuracy.

The fact that Affinity hasn't addressed this is (is it 5+ years?) deeply saddening. I've had to shift to lightroom (which I f*^king hate).

I wouldn't even mind paying for it!! Affinity Photo 2 with Calibrate support!!

Maybe in another five years?

Well, I waited for this colour accuracy in Affinity for years.
Lost confidence that it would com. The raw convertor in Affinity is far of colour accuracy. 
The tool Affinity does work superb, but I do not use it standalone. I use C1 in front of it.
You have to go in with Tiff files where colour accuracy is done in tools like C1, or LR.

Wrt to colour accuracy, Affinity is not competing with any in the same class.
Wrt editing starting with a converted RAW file in a specialized tool like C1, LR DXO Raw convertor which you can use in in front of Affinity, you will get an excellent combi

I do not expect Affinity will bring this function in a short term, so the next 10 years I guess we have to work with other tools in front.
DXO brought at least the Raw convertor which you can buy, but I'm not sure it is able to match with Colour checker passport.