You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Correction with X-Rite Colorchecker Passport

The ColorTRUE SDK seems to be for display calibration on mobile devices https://xritephoto.com/colortrueSDK

Adobe does publish a manual for tool to edit DNG profiles mentioning a dependance on X-rite color chart https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/cs6/DNGProfile_EditorDocumentation.pdf

X-Rite also publishes a manual for a tool to create DNG Profiles https://www.xrite.com/service-support/creating_dng_profiles_for_adobe_camera_raw

I think the confusion stems from ColorChecker being the name of both a physical colorchart and a software application to do color correction using the chart.

It was my impression that the request by OP was for software support in Affinity for the physical device, not for the software solution wih th same name, my apologies if this assumption was in error.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like xRite is branching out away from only Adobe and building software for creating ICC Profiles. Would be nice if they would produce LUTs as well as ICC Profiles ...

https://xritephoto.com/CameraICC

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Dam I just ordered a spyderCHECKER 24 simply assuming that either the software it came with would provide me with something of use or that whatever the spyderCHECKER software outputted would be of use in Affinity Photo. But as it stands it looks like I have a $80 paint chip card. I have to be honest I have been very happy with Serif. I own Photo, Designer and a few brush packs as well. I am about half way through buying all the products at this point. This to me seems like such a absolute necessity in order to be taken seriously at all that the fact that it has not been implemented in some way is completely baffling. But not only has it not been implemented the thread of people requesting it have been completely ignored. Anyone in the "pro world" would take one read through that thread and forget about Serif for a good while I would think. 

I don't see how something like Picture to LUT would be accurate enough to trust batch processing whole sets of photos through. It is one thing to use it to produce cool film color renditions but to go for absolute accuracy in color that just seems very iffy.

Serif please please please take a person off your Puplisher project and implement this. While I hope you guys work on this I will shoot Dattacolor an email asking them to stop kissing Adobies ass and have there software output a dam LUT so the non Adobe section of the world can actually get some use out of there products.

AiDion pointed me in the right direction in another thread and after some learning I now understand how to get calibrated colour in Affinity Photo. Not as smooth as I would like but now that I know the steps it does not take long. I posted my process here if anyone is interested. 

Thanks AiDion for pointing out the Beta x-rite software. It seems like the best way to do it.

• 9 months later...

In meantime again a year ahaid, still not implemented... :-(
Since some years working with Affinity and requested this color checker also a long time ago.
Really a pitty we don't get this implemented.
Same for decent working of Vizenza 2 (However, when you order DXO tools, you get DXO also today, so there is a decent working solution implemented)
No too bad, that you get DXO, because the raw convertor from Affinity is still not at the level you get from Adobe, Nikon Capture NX-D and DXO

On 10/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, WMax70 said:

In meantime again a year ahaid, still not implemented... :-(
Since some years working with Affinity and requested this color checker also a long time ago.
Really a pitty we don't get this implemented.
Same for decent working of Vizenza 2 (However, when you order DXO tools, you get DXO also today, so there is a decent working solution implemented)
No too bad, that you get DXO, because the raw convertor from Affinity is still not at the level you get from Adobe, Nikon Capture NX-D and DXO

Hi, Lucky you did not request it in On1 Photo raw as I and many others did over 4 years ago, yes that's 4 years!! And now to be offered it up only if you upgrade to the 2020 version, it is the main reason I kept hold of Lightroom 6 and now dumped On1 software. It is available in Skylum Luminar also (Camera colour profiles).  Russ.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:00 PM, Russ2 said:

Hi, Lucky you did not request it in On1 Photo raw as I and many others did over 4 years ago, yes that's 4 years!! And now to be offered it up only if you upgrade to the 2020 version, it is the main reason I kept hold of Lightroom 6 and now dumped On1 software. It is available in Skylum Luminar also (Camera colour profiles).  Russ.

Thanks, that motivates a lot... :/

I really started to look at lightroom again. (because of supported Raw)
Not a bad deal, 144 Euro for yearly up-to-date software including cloud storage for the projects working on.
I really miss the feature for my products shoots, and I'm currently using Photoshop elements for this. (even elements support it)
And to be honest, I really close to step back to Adobe.
I'll keep Affinity photo also, no doubt, because of the Photoshop related functions which are not in lightroom, but the main part and editing I will do in lightroom again.

Main reasons:
Lightroom supported functions I do not have with Affinity:

1. Color correction (card)
  2. Multi-camera logical sort based on the time the shot was taken -> sort (and time correction)
  3. Better plug-in support (incl DXO vivenza 2)
  4. Much better Raw import quality.
  5. Since the last 2 updates, pen drawing in affinity is really lagging. (specially in overlays - Develop persona, it did not in previous versions)

After 3 years working with Affinity I really like Affinity's work flow etc, it became my favorite tool, but I'm really missing the listed items and I continuously must use work arounds to get it done This takes so much additional time that I often run out of my planning.  Therefore I really doubt to step back to lightroom and will import the files if I need the to have some Phtoshop related Affinity functions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/25/2018 at 10:43 AM, miss_c said:

Hello

Could you please as well add Color Correction with SpyderCheckr or SypderCheckr from Datacolor?

Thanks! 

same request here. now in mid-2020, nearly FOUR YEARS after the original post in 2016, there's still no support in Affinity Photo for any kind of standard color chart like datacolor spydercheckr or x-rite colorchecker. using such standard color chart in post-editing (color correction) raw files has become crucial and new standard that is convenient to implement. this is should be a quite basic feature that should have been in Affinity Photo Raw Development a long time ago. I can't describe how disappointed I am when seeing that neither spydercheckr nor affinity photo are supporting each other. just hope that affinity photo would add this function into raw development persona as soon as possible. otherwise, we will have no choice but to still use software like lightroom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, ksrcreative said:

They still rely on the 3rd-party app to do it though (the one from the chart manufacturer); it would be much nicer to have it in-app the way it is in Resolve.

Having read through the entire thread, maybe the folks requesting "support" for a CC card could be more concise about what, exactly, they mean.  There appears to be at least two different requests in the thread:

1) Support for making, or at least implementing previously made, custom DCPs or ICCs in a manner similar to how Lightroom/ACR and similar applications support custom camera profiles for raw image conversion;

2) Support for live color correction based on importing an RGB (i.e., not raw) image of a CC card and placing a grid over the card patches, resulting in AP's automagically performing color correction based on known reference values (or custom values provided by the user) of the card (like Davinci Resolve does).  

Obviously these are two very different things and there are solutions outside of AP that will perform these tasks with results that can be brought into AP for further editing.  Maybe the folks with an interest in this request can elaborate on what they mean when they are asking for AP to "support" a CC card.  Make and import/use DCPs or ICCs during raw conversion based on a raw image of a CC card?  Produce a live LUT based on an RGB image of a CC card and be able to apply/export that LUT for batch processing?  Both?

As it currently stands, the Develop persona in AP is a weak point in the grand scheme of the application, so one is probably better served by converting raw files in another application that supports DCP/ICC profiles, batch processing, etc.  In terms of providing live color correction based on a reference RGB image of a CC or similar card, it would seem like this would be a great addition to the LUT adjustment layer - a button on the layer dialog that would permit you to load a reference CC image, specify that reference card from an AP database of cards (for example the CC Passport), place a grid on the reference image and hit the "OK" button.  The result would be a LUT in the layer stack with the custom adjustment applied via the layer.  It would be great if you could also export that LUT for future use, batch processing, etc. directly upon construction of the LUT, as opposed to the Export LUT... option that currently exists (to avoid extra steps).  It would be useful if the user could provide a .CIE file for custom reference targets and add the CIE file and the grid configuration for that custom reference card to the database of reference cards.

kirk

On 5/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, kirkt said:

2) Support for live color correction based on importing an RGB (i.e., not raw) image of a CC card and placing a grid over the card patches, resulting in AP's automagically performing color correction based on known reference values (or custom values provided by the user) of the card (like Davinci Resolve does).  

In principle, this...

On 5/15/2020 at 11:13 AM, kirkt said:

one is probably better served by converting raw files in another application that supports DCP/ICC profiles

in practice, this, except it would be even nicer if said other application did #2 instead of (or in addition to) #1

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

In principle, this...

in practice, this, except it would be even nicer if said other application did #2 instead of (or in addition to) #1

You should take a look at 3D LUT Creator. It does exactly what you want.  It is currently designed to integrate with PS to pull images from and pass LUTs to the working PS document. I will email the app’s creator and see if he can include the same integration with AP

See this example:

kirk

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, kirkt said:

I will email the app’s creator and see if he can include the same integration with AP

Did you get an answer?

And yes, color correction is missing in Photo.

Greetings from Germany

Micha

Please excuse my bad english. I learned it at school over thirty years ago. If you don't use it (regularly), you'll loose it.

Windows 10 & iPadOS: Affinity Suite (v1 and v2), all Workbooks (v1, german language), some content-packages

@Kirkt:

I was looking to the 3D LUT Creator tutorials you posted.
If it does what it says it does, than it's a great tool! And it would really be nice if this would work as plug in with Affinity.
Not sure if you already tested the PS plug in in Affinity?

The tool is not very cheap. (250 dollar... 😲)
But in my opinion at the first site a great tool! Thanks for sharing.

@Affinity developers, please have a look at this tools. Would be amazing to have such features in Affinity or at least support this plug in.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been on the forums for a while, so I thought I would check out this thread as I consider it to be the most important issue with Photo. It would appear that nothing has moved.

I still use Publisher (and Designer a little), but I'm about to start a contract for several hundred PAK shots and without the X-rite/Calibrate integration similar to Lightroom, I'm going to have to use Lightroom. And I hate Lightroom.

It's now been such a long running request, the company has changed hands....