You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Way to contain blur effect within a mask in Designer?

Hi, I'm in the process of doing my first piece of work in Affinity Designer. I'm trying to mask a layer that has a gaussian blur effect but the blur continues outside the masking area. Is there any way around this or am I doing something wrong? I dragged the masking template onto the layer so it appears as a mask in the layers panel but no joy. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Stokerg, thanks for the quick reply. I'd rather not upload the original file as it's over 100mb in size and a work in progress. But I have included an example file to show my issue and a small section of my image to show my issue within the Designer Image. It's all done with vectors. There are no pixel/raster items within if that makes any difference. In the example file I've put a clean square mask over a blurred circle.

Masking Issue Example.afdesign

I'm trying to get the blur inside but with clean edging. As you can see in the section of my image a blur is cast from the right side of the tree where I've created shadowing. I could do a reverse image with sky detail in, to mask the shadowing, but that then affects the cloud layers I've drawn. (They were partially under the tree until I ran into this issue and would like to move them back)

Example of pic.jpg