You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Linking Doesn't Work using Pad and Pen

Hi

I had given up trying out AP for one very good reason - I just could not get text frame linking to work. However, not being able to sleep I decided to give it another try and now know WHY it won't work. In my everyday work I use a Wacom Pad and Pen (a Bamboo). Since I was having no success with that there was obviously something fundamental I was doing wrong since no-one else seemed to have that problem. I therefore tried my mouse and guess what, everything was working fine straight away. The problem therefore is down to the use of the Wacom gear. Perhaps now I can really get going but I will say that I much prefer to use a Graphics Pad and Pen rather than a mouse. Its what I use with PPX9 and I must say every other program I have. Therefore support for such equipment would be a big help and not just for me I'm sure.

Since my Graphic Pad and Pen are rather old I tried my husbands which was replaced in the last 2 years and no, it doesn't work with an Intuos Pad and Pen either but will with a mouse. Work is therefore needed to support Graphic Pads and Pens. Those who use Graphics Pads and Pens don't want to be continually switching backwards and forwards between mouse and pen, so please, can someone do something to support this feature working, as all other features currently seem to do, with a Pad and Pen?

Tracey

My Wacom Intuos CTH-680 tablet/pen works fine.

Exactly what problem do you have when using your tablet with "text frame linking"?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi Tracey,

It seems OK for me too on our Intuos. What is the exact model of each of the tablets and what driver do you have installed? I know they might work in other software but I need to try and replicate your exact setup with the same hardware and driver.

Hi Chris and Carl

I have a Bamboo MTE450 and my husband an Intuos CTL490W. Neither are professional pads and more for the home market I would imagine both being about the smallest pad available - but still very effective.

Carl - The problem is that just nothing happens when I try linking. I click on the diamond on the lower right of the source frame then go to the destination frame and nothing happens other than the frame is selected the same happened when I tried on my husbands PC. Believe me, I tried numerous times but things just sat there doing nothing, no frame turning blue suggesting things were working as they apparently should. It wasn't until I changed to my mouse that I could really see how they should work.

Chris - As far as I am aware I have the very latest driver for my Bamboo pad and I also have reason to think my husband's PC has the latest driver for his pad. However, I will check both and get back to you.

Tracey

Hi Chris

I've just checked my own pad driver and have the following info for you. The driver file installed was 5.3.5.3 and still is. However, when I check Device Driver for driver version it says it is 3.5.0.5. I've also checked on the Wacom site and the only driver file available for Bamboo pads is the one I have installed. As I said in my initial post it is an old pad and seemingly Wacom have now retired it. Nevertheless, it works flawlessly and I don't really see the need to replace something that works so well. This is about all I can say about this topic for the moment unless you have any further questions. I will, however, check into the driver my husband's Intuos is using and get back to you.

Hi Chris

I've just checked my husbands drivers and found there was a new driver to install. This has now been done and AP checked again but unfortunately text frame linking is still not working using a pad and pen but it does using a mouse. The driver version of the file downloaded from Wacom is 6.3.31-4 and as installed and showing in Device Manager is 3.8.10.9 dated 25/3/2018. Hope this info helps.

Try this...

First make sure Preview Mode is OFF (unchecked) or else it's hard to see the linkage.  ( View > Preview Mode  )

Then draw one text frame, click the diamond on the lower right of that frame and click-drag out another text frame somewhere else on the page.

Does linking show up now?

If not, a video may help someone spot what is going on

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks for all the feedback and investigating! I think a video (as Carl has suggested) would be the next step. We aren't suggesting you're doing anything wrong (as you know how to do it with a mouse) but seeing a video of the process might give us a clue. 

Does enabling 'High precision tablet input' from Preferences > Tools help at all?

Chris

I've done my best using Free Studio. Hopefully it'll show you what is going on. What I did was go through the process of linking with the pen (result failure), then did the same again using the mouse (result success) then again with the pen (again result failure). However, something rather interesting comes up: when I click the source frame the pointer appears somewhat displaced to the north-west of the triangle and the mouse pointer changes to an I-beam which appears directly over the triangle. I am firmly of the opinion it is something to do with the initial click on the source frame that seems to be causing the problem as it just doesn't seem to be picking up the function required. Hence when I move the pointer away from the frame the pointer reverts to normal. I suppose it could also be that the program is losing the required function by moving the pointer. Whatever, by the time the pointer arrives at the destination frame the required function has been lost, hence the procedure fails. Anyway I hope the file is good enough for you, if not let me know and I'll see what I can do to get a better one for you.

Tracey

PS Sorry but I uploaded the file without changing the filename.

• Staff

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for the video. I noticed the cursor seemed off a bit as well. Can you tell me what Windows Scaling you are using? We've just plugged in a Bamboo and set our scaling to a non-default Windows value of 123% and our cursor was off too. 

Chris

What is this scaling you are talking about - where will I find it? As far as I am aware I've never set up any scaling and don't know anything about it. I've had a look on the Wacom Preferences in Control Panel but so far have found nothing there. So just where will I find them? Sorry to be so vague.

Tracey

Chris/Carl

It seems the problem has been me all along. My husband sussed it out as he was able to do the linking without too much trouble on his PC. I think the problem is, the triangle is so damned small that i have trouble holding the pen still whilst I click. Having had yet several more tries with the pen I've found that I have been able to achieve linking I've been claiming doesn't work. It still takes several tries mind you but at least I've proved to myself it does work. Its just the small size of the triangle we have to click on. If that could be a little larger like 50% I'm sure it would be so much easier, certainly much easier for the visually challenged such as my husband - I had to show him where the triangle was before he was able to see it!!!

Anyway, my apologies for any problems or inconvenience I may have caused to you both.

Tracey

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.