You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(WIP- Affinity Photo) The Unlikely Travelers

ronniemcbride

So, Diving into some Affinity Photo. I had a Couple of hiccups, but I am enjoying Affinity Photo so far. Still working this one out, but I am at a stopping point, so I figure I would share what I have so far. Stock Photograph  model credit to Fae : http://faestock.deviantart.com/

unlikely-travelers.jpg

Thanks, man! You are spot on with all your critique and comments! I need to post an update. Since this post, I had tweaked the lighting also the tusks. I have the right tusk curving in front of her arm and also added a bit of shadow to support where her arm is in relation to the tusk. Love how this tells a story in one frame all done with complete different pictures that were all shot at different times and lighting conditions. I posted another composite done in AP. I would love to hear what you think of that story and whatever critique or thoughts you may have on that one. It's a bit bizarre but fun.

Wow nice work Ronnie! I like the color palette you're using in post #4 the most, I think giving the image a little warmth helps it feel more "real" and less underwater to me.

I also would look at would be the lion's front paws. Maybe it's because of the lighting on them or because there is nothing in front of them, but it shattered the illusion for me. Perhaps a simple burning of the highlights/mid-tones there or cloning some of the rocks subtly in front of the paws would sell the illusion better...

Also, the lighting in the image is coming from behind /above the subjects. Usually when that happens the outer edge of the subjects usually catches a highlight, separating subject from background. Of course in the studio we fake it and use a dedicated edge light. I think adding this effect would add more realism to the compositing of the 3 characters, and also enhance the magical quality of the image...

But I'm splitting hairs here, the image is wonderful and the emotion and story it tells is what's ultimately important....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Wow nice work Ronnie! I like the color palette you're using in post #4 the most, I think giving the image a little warmth helps it feel more "real" and less underwater to me.

I also would look at would be the lion's front paws. Maybe it's because of the lighting on them or because there is nothing in front of them, but it shattered the illusion for me. Perhaps a simple burning of the highlights/mid-tones there or cloning some of the rocks subtly in front of the paws would sell the illusion better...

Also, the lighting in the image is coming from behind /above the subjects. Usually when that happens the outer edge of the subjects usually catches a highlight, separating subject from background. Of course in the studio we fake it and use a dedicated edge light. I think adding this effect would add more realism to the compositing of the 3 characters, and also enhance the magical quality of the image...

But I'm splitting hairs here, the image is wonderful and the emotion and story it tells is what's ultimately important....

Thanks, Ronny! All great input. I am on a job right now, but I can't wait til I get home so apply a bit of your input to this image. this image is getting better from all of your great input guys thanks for looking at it. You can stare at something long enough that you start to miss things. Thank you both for the extra eyes on this. Ohh, and splitting hairs are a good thing."The Devils In The Details"

I will make some composites of my own once those live filters and smart objects are implemented. Read they are supposed to come this week :D

Live filters, Smart Objects, oooh My :) I missed where this was mentioned. I would love to see what you composite. I loved the work you did with the violin. I wish I could wrap my brain around Blender. It so powerful but the interface puts me off. It would be nice if someone created a 3d app that worked with the ease and speed of affinity.

Live filters, Smart Objects, oooh My :) I missed where this was mentioned. I would love to see what you composite. I loved the work you did with the violin. I wish I could wrap my brain around Blender. It so powerful but the interface puts me off. It would be nice if someone created a 3d app that worked with the ease and speed of affinity.

Blender is easy. I can give you a few private lessons to help with the brain wrapping part ;)

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

Ronnie, check this out: I took your original image and your last one, and dragged them into AP as 2 layers, setting the top one to Difference mode, to see what you did. Then I popped open the Vector-scope, and check out the results, a mighty cool, sacred-geometry-like, crystalline structure... 

post-1105-0-15808200-1428460330_thumb.jpg

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...

i loved this work!

Thank you! As I love your  work as well. I believe you are the one who did the Rhino Island composite. Really great work man, I actually made it my desktop background.