When using the rectangular marquee tool, sometimes I know the exact pixel dimensions that I need to be selecting.  I would like to have the ability to specify a selection box size and/or ratio, rather than simply dragging an area.

Can't you use the Transform Panel (W & H values) to do this?

Or am I misunderstanding what you want?

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Yep; I think you're misunderstanding.  Let's say I have a photo, and I want to select a 100px x 100px area of that photo.  I have no way to precisely do that.  I would like to be able to specify in the marquee tool that I would like that exact pixel size of a selection.

Hi HaDAk,
Draw the rectangle with the rectangle marquee tool first (size doesn't matter at this point), then go to the Transform panel and set the values you want for the width and height. The marquee selection will be adjusted accordingly. Then position the selection marquee where you want. There's no way to set the values before creating the selection marquee unless you prefer to draw a rectangle shape with the dimensions you want, convert it to curves, switch to the Pen Tool and convert it to a selection by clicking the Selection button in the context toolbar.

Ah, ok.  That works.  It's pretty counter-intuitive, but it solves my problem.  I don't suppose it's too much to ask for a way to specify a ratio, rather than a pixel size? Say I want to select a 4x3 box, but I don't know what pixel dimensions?