You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Affinity-Beta Celebrating Christmas Early, or What?

Talking about far exceeding expectations in a Beta!

I just bought a Nikon D7200 (available just Mar 20), and of course, no one except Nikon had support for NEFs (RAW files). Not Adobe in LR5 nor Photoshop. So I thought just for the hell of it I would just try Affinity Photo Beta to read D7200 NEFs.

WoW! The Beta read in the files, and I’ve been able to use the Develop Persona to process the NEFs into Affinity files and Tiffs (I’m sure the other file types will work, with the changes incorporated into the files). I was able to import LR5 the Affinity-processed TIFF file into Adobe LR5. Can you imagine what Affinity can do, being so far ahead of Adobe…in Affinity’s Beta? Affinity’s quick, nimble and more than satisfying our high expectations.

FWIW, you need to know that the D7200 NEFs start their process at near RAW (no Nikon coloring); I guess that would be their FLAT mode. But that’s how I want my RAW files to be, with most information packed into file, for later processing. And this finding applies to the Beta I just uploaded, 1.1.2.24216.

In another post I will have some ideas for consideration in providing “filters” for the NEF RAW files (as well as Canon’s RAW files) that would incorporate Picture Control (Nikon—or Canon/Sony’s—similar coloring) options.

Thanks again, Affinity team.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.