stefanrittmann

CPU usage too high by editing RAW Images

I´ve got serious Problems with RAW editing. After a few seconds the CPU of my 2,9 GHZ 4 Kernel MacBookPro 2017 (that's fast) goes up to nearly 100%, the fan starts immediately. With Photoshop anything is cool. What is it about? Why does Affinity Photo needs so much Power? It is annoying...

It starts immediately by using the sliders to manage the settings for RAW editing. CPU usage explodes and the fan starts to run. I´ve never experienced something like this. It looks like the program is completely misusing the hardware. It is really annoying. When I close everything it is back to normal. Photoshop is much quieter in terms of hardware exploitation. What is it about? That can't be normal. 

Kindest Regards

Stefan Rittmann

16 hours ago, stefanrittmann said:

completely misusing the hardware

Using all the resources available to speed up the process is not misusing. You're developing a RAW file and you would expect this kind of result - High CPU usage. If you can, you can do a screen recording with the Activity Monitor open while you process a photo and we can have a look. But it's probably nothing wrong with the app using the available resources when needed. If it were to use the resources in Idle, then it would have been an issue. But using the CPU when actually developing a file is perfectly normal. 

Different RAW engine, Different codebase, Different ways of handling files. You can try and change the RAW engine to Apple RAW in Develop Assistant and see if that makes a difference.