You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page Items Override & Total Page Numbers

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, Dan.

(1) It's not clear what you mean by "override" but the basic answer, I think, is: you don't. Master pages are (at this point in Publisher's evolution) for static data that should appear on every page to which the master is applied. If there's something on a master page that you don't want on a particular document page, you should not apply that master to that document page. Note that you can have multiple Master pages, and you can apply multiple masters to any document page, which may help you organize things.

(2) View > Studio > Fields then expand the Document Statistics section and then, with the text cursor where you want the number to appear, double click on the field label "Total Pages".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you very much Walt! - I see this is not a feature

I ask because with both Indesign and Quark which is what most people will be coming from to publisher you can simply click 'override master page items' on any page you create to unlock everything and edit as you need to - say for example on the last page only you wanted to remove just one or two elements from your master set this would be a fast and easy way to do it. It would be a good feature to include - it could be listed under the 'apply master' & 'clear master' when you right click on the page thumbnails (left side palette).

Thank you very much for solution to the total page number - this is excellent but in terms of location not logical to find, having this next to Text > Insert> 'Page number' would have been expected. Thank you for all your help!

1 hour ago, DanBrizol said:

you can simply click 'override master page items' on any page you create to unlock everything and edit as you need to - say for example on the last page only you wanted to remove just one or two elements from your master set this would be a fast and easy way to do it

There are games you can play today in Publisher to accomplish that, but in my opinion they're risky and complex and not worth it. I believe that Serif will make additional changes to Publisher in this area before it's released.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, Barbasol said:

I just had this same question. I wanted a "template" title on each page that I could customize on each page. In InDesign that can be part of the Master. 

Thanks for confirming the functionality. I guess I'll just copy/paste!

You could put Guides on a Master, and in a document page draw a text frame within those Guides. You could then setup the frame properties as you wish and save it as an asset. Then on any document page where you want a similar frame you could drag it from the Assets panel and position it to the Guides.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 year later...

What I am looking for may be different from the override section of this thread, but it is similar. I'm looking for a feature that allows you to override a single object from a master page; similar to how in InDesign you can ctrl+shift+click on the object to "unlock it" from the master to edit, move, delete, etc. For example, I am making a template layout for printing bookmarks. On the master page, I have the frames set. In InDesign I would ctrl+shift+click on each frame to break them from the master; then I would place the bookmark image into one, then copy it and paste it inside the other frames. This was a lot faster than placing one then copying the frame each time, and especially faster than placing each one (which is what I am having to do now in Publisher).

Also, on that note, I know that you can Right Click>Frame Properties>Scale to Min/Max Fit; is it possible to set a keyboard shortcut to do that?

1 hour ago, Ralph Hulick Art said:

I'm looking for a feature that allows you to override a single object from a master page; similar to how in InDesign you can ctrl+shift+click on the object to "unlock it" from the master to edit, move, delete, etc.

Right-click on the Master Page's layer in the Layers panel, and choose Edit Detached. You can not now adjust objects that the document page inherited from that Master Page. Click Finished when you're done.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, Ralph Hulick Art said:

Thank you!

You're welcome. And sorry for the typo (now fixed: not > now) in my earlier post.

-- Walt
PC: