You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Address Labels and other small publication templates

One of the best features of PagePlus is its ability to design and selectively print out standard Avery address labels- either repeats of a single label or a sequence from a range. Each page is set up as one label design.

Is this on the road map for Affinity Publisher - possibly even in the first commercial release?? 

It doesn't take a lot of working out how to duplicate a single label x number of times onto an A4 sheet. 

Now tell me how to print out just the 4th label on the 5th row or else four copies of the third label on the first row. This is the sort of functionality that PagePlus has which means that you don't have to print out multiple identical labels every time. This is what I'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, AwkwardBay said:

Well I just downloaded the beta of Affinity Publisher specifically to see if it has this feature and sadly I was disappointed.

Affinity Publisher is still in beta and it hasn't been released yet. If you would like something added just post it here. It may to be added straight away or in future releases.

PagePlus has a long history stretching over 25 years. Don't expect every feature found in PagePlus to be available in Publisher from the word go.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

6 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Affinity Publisher is still in beta and it hasn't been released yet. If you would like something added just post it here. It may to be added straight away or in future releases.

PagePlus has a long history stretching over 25 years. Don't expect every feature found in PagePlus to be available in Publisher from the word go.

I know Publisher is still in beta and about the long history of PagePlus. I think I had most versions going way back to version 1 or 2. I don't expect every feature of PagePlus to be in the first release of Publisher at all but that is the reason I downloaded it today. From my perspective my top two use cases for a publishing tool are as follows:

• Label printing with the ability to select how many and where to start on a page of labels. 
  • Mail merge from a simple customisable database (again for printing labels mostly)

I'll probably buy Publisher once it includes these features and that will give me the chance to finally drop my Windows systems in the waste basket.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like templates as in PP but would settle for a "New Document" that covered Small, Large and Folded Publications with a facility to specify a custom layout - again, as in PP which I've been using since its inception.  I print a lot of labels and some banners and have not found a way to do this comfortably in Publisher.  Is there any chance of this being included in the final version?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 4:31 PM, Seneca said:

I understand that but basic templates are a must for any publisher software. I am not a business user but do a lot of stuff like greetings cards, vouchers, certificates and trifold documents. Luckily I have Windows on my Mac so can still use publisher on that but it's not ideal as it is so slow.

1 hour ago, Islafurst said:

It’s a pity I can’t open PP documents on Publisher.

Try to save your files in PagePlus as PDF and then open this PDF in Publisher. You may find that you need to tweak very little to get to where you were in PagePlus.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Nottafulshilin said:

Just tried the link above and an associated web site. They seem to have every Avery Template except the two I use the most - viz:-J8165 (8 to a sheet) and L7169 (4 to a sheet).

Sincerely hope Affinity will include them, if they ever get round to labels.

The link just above your post is the Avery site, and should have all their templates. J8165 and L7169 do not appear to be Avery numbers. Can you describe the actual label sizes?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...

So PP has a 25 year history  (I have used it from PP3 to X9). I would have though the ability to open and process PP files in Publisher would have been front and centre at early design stages. I mostly use PP for labels, tickets, greetings cards and small folded publications. Surely basic templates like these should be part of any publishing software.

On 12/16/2018 at 6:56 PM, walt.farrell said:

The link just above your post is the Avery site, and should have all their templates. J8165 and L7169 do not appear to be Avery numbers. Can you describe the actual label sizes?

J8nnn and L7nnn are UK Avery numbers (for inkjet and laser products, respectively). :)

18 minutes ago, Miken101 said:

So PP has a 25 year history  (I have used it from PP3 to X9). I would have though the ability to open and process PP files in Publisher would have been front and centre at early design stages. I mostly use PP for labels, tickets, greetings cards and small folded publications. Surely basic templates like these should be part of any publishing software.

The Affinity suite is completely new, built from the ground up to be largely ‘platform agnostic’. PagePlus is heavily dependent upon built-in Windows functions, and APub doesn’t share any code with it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, AwkwardBay said:
  • Label printing with the ability to select how many and where to start on a page of labels. 
  •  Mail merge from a simple customisable database (again for printing labels mostly)

If this is the sum total of what you need and you are on a Mac you might want to check out PrintWorks: https://www.belightsoft.com/printworks/

It's a bit wimpy compared to more serious tools like what Serif is working toward, but it does handle merge/labels along with other relatively basic publishing tasks, and it's cheap.

Most of this thread was from months ago, but I am just now reading it for the first time, so here are my thoughts. Working with labels potentially could be a nice feature, but frankly, it strikes me as a tangent to the core focus of what seems to be Serif's target audience. It would not offend me if they eventually add such a feature, and I might eventually use it, but I think this is a better fit in a word processor. Today, I use InDesign for layout needs (and maybe I will eventually get to replace it with Affinity Publisher), but when it comes to labels and mail merge, I naturally go to Microsoft Word. They are different tools.

I'll go further to say that I think pre-made templates in general are also something that are not what the core targeted audience (as it appears to me--and I could be wrong) are looking for. That seems to be more for the market segment that is different than the creative professional sector. I think rather they are things that could be added later once the core is satisfied and Serif wants to cast a wider net.

This is just my opinion on the matter. Maybe it provides some perspective, but if not, that's okay too.

Well the software is still in beta, so there might be further file format changes applied etc. Once the tool and it's format are stable, it shouldn't be difficult to add some commonly often by people needed or used layout templates. - Further, after the tool will be final released, I believe there will be a bunch of people, third party sources and services which will jump on then and offer all sort of premade layout templates for it.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2