You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity sharing each other's documents?

Are AD and AP spoze to be able to use each other's documents? Isn't that one of the bennies of using them together?

Just tried to place an image I made in AP into an AD document. No soap!  Guess there's more needs to be done on my part?

• Staff

Hi VectorCat,

If you are running Affinity Designer and want to edit the current document in Affinity Photo go to menu File ▹ Edit in Photo. Same if you are in Affinity Photo and want to edit the document in Designer: just go to File ▹ Edit in Designer.

[EDIT ]This only works between the Betas of Affinity Photo and Designer.

You should be also able to drag (or place, using the Place Image Tool) an .afphoto document into Affinity Designer. It will be embedded inside the afdesign file.

Hi VectorCat,

If you are running Affinity Designer and want to edit the current document in Affinity Photo go to menu File ▹ Edit in Photo. Same if you are in Affinity Photo and want to edit the document in Designer: just go to File ▹ Edit in Designer.

Hi MEB, am I missing something, i'm in AD and the edit in photo option is greyed out. I have updated to 1.2 and the new photo beta.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

This only works between the betas. Not between the MAS version and a Beta. 

I've edited my previous post to avoid confusion if someone reads it.

Ok, So I guess thats not going to be available until the official Photo's release then?

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

• Staff

@mystrawberrymonkey

Just give me some time to check this out. I'm little unsure about a detail.

[EDIT] Exactly. The Mac App Store version of Affinity Designer can only share documents through the File ▹ Edit in Photo with the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo (when made available).

Currently you can only use this function with the beta versions of both programs.

@mystrawberrymonkey

Just give me some time to check this out. I'm little unsure about a detail.

[EDIT] Exactly. The Mac App Store version of Affinity Designer can only share documents through the File ▹ Edit in Photo with the Mac App Store version of Affinity Photo (when made available).

Currently you can only use this function with the beta versions of both programs.

Thanks for the update.

To be honest, I don't really get why an extra photo app is necessary - there's already the pixel persona in AD so they could be rolled into one, saving memory and saving the user the hassle of going back and forth between them. The only reason I can see would be some marketing thing.

Wishful thinking: something like "Affinity Complete" which is both AD and AP in one package. For, say, 99,- Euros I'd buy it in a minute. Maybe even with automatic switching between the personae, depending on the type of layer you have selected.

• Staff

@postmadesign,

Are you having trouble doing this with a specific document, or does it happen with all?

Also can you try it with a new empty document? Is it still greyed out?

@Achim63

Affinity Photo functions are quite different from the Pixel Persona in Affinity Designer. While Affinity Designer is an hybrid vector/raster design and illustration software (similar to Illustrator or CorelDraw), Affinity Photo is a RAW converter and a photo editor (similar to Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom and Corel Photo-Paint.

They serve completely different purposes.