TomHu

Can I overlay a tiled pattern onto a layer?

In Photoshop you can overlay a layer with a tiled pattern, just as you can do with a gradient fill. Is there a way to do the same in Affinity Photo? 

@TomHu

You can use the Gradient tool (set Type to bitmap) and tile any image as a Fill'

gradient.jpg.16bb0f5202a22a5d4ad435e33d2eebae.jpg

tiled.jpg.84eebf9ee52d27d082c495672736d738.jpg

When you select 'Bitmap' it opens the Filer.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi @toltec

Thanks! I'm just not sure where to find this particular Gradient tool. I tried Gradient Overlay... 

663547058_ScreenShot2018-10-08at5_09_18PM.png.d84ff436d77448704b0e7cf9620847ae.png

... and Gradient Map ...

378704445_ScreenShot2018-10-08at5_09_55PM.png.b18f2915edb7c1025af89d517e622936.png

But don't see any way to choose an image to fill. 

It on the Tools Panel on the left. Called the Gradient Tool in Photo or the Fill Tool in Designer. Look it up in the Help if you can't find it.

I'm away from my computer now so can't do a screen grab as Android won't run Affinity ;)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

"type" is grayed out for me.

Is this because my pattern is a vector?

I wanted to do this in Designer, but there doesn't seem to be a flood fill with pattern in Designer. Since I can't seem to find a way to copy a layer or group and then paste as new image in designer either, I opened both the image I wanted to fill and the image with the design (both vectors) and then did a file/edit in photo.

but still can't seem to fill an area with a seamless tile.

Sig

On 10/8/2018 at 4:23 PM, toltec said:

@TomHu

You can use the Gradient tool (set Type to bitmap) and tile any image as a Fill'

gradient.jpg.16bb0f5202a22a5d4ad435e33d2eebae.jpg

tiled.jpg.84eebf9ee52d27d082c495672736d738.jpg

When you select 'Bitmap' it opens the Filer.

ok, I saved out the tile as a PNG.

then took my original that was still open in Designer and did an edit in Photo. Got the BMP to work BUT the PNG was light yellow on a transparent background and when it flood filled the layer, it is solid yellow.

We can't use a tile with transparency? 

that would be a pain because then I would have to go back and select all the color I didn't want and delete it. Which never seems to turn out as well (at least in other programs I've used)

Sig

2 hours ago, SigsCreations said:

but still can't seem to fill an area with a seamless tile.

Are you sure you chose Wrap for the Extend option in the Context toolbar?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Is it just me, Walt, or do ‘Wrap’ and ‘Repeat’ seem the wrong way around to you, too? ears.gif

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Hello αℓƒяє∂,

You are right, the two functions are reversed, and also in the French version of AD. It was a trap I also fell into at first, it was only by testing the four possibilities that I had found the correct procedure.

9 hours ago, SigsCreations said:

Got the BMP to work BUT the PNG was light yellow on a transparent background and when it flood filled the layer, it is solid yellow.

We can't use a tile with transparency? 

Transparency works. The Blue is 40% transparent the outer border is 100% transparent.
1173744916_ScreenShot.png.65059c56129081be7a7fdafa045c36db.png

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Designer (ADe) Tutorials - Affinity Photo (APh) Tutorials Instagram & Flickr

4 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Is it just me, Walt, or do ‘Wrap’ and ‘Repeat’ seem the wrong way around to you, too? ears.gif

The names in Affinity are wrong:

• Wrap should be named Repeat
  • Repeat should be named Clamp

53 minutes ago, >|< said:

The names in Affinity are wrong:

• Wrap should be named Repeat
  • Repeat should be named Clamp

Thanks. I’m used to seeing ‘Clamp’ used in relation to audio signals, but its use in the present context is a new one on me.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

In the French version the terms "ajustement" ("ajuster" would be better) and "répéter" correspond well to both functions, it would now be necessary to reverse the marking of the buttons in the drop-down list.

Ajustement_répéter.png

6 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, that always seems odd to me, too :)

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.331 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

ok that did it. wish I could use a vector though. Seems nuts to have to turn my vector into a bmp first when I'm in Designer. Feels like I should be able to use all vectors in a vector program.

thanks

Sig