You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I crop the canvas using the marquee tool?

In Photoshop I can draw a box with the marquee tool, then choose to crop the canvas to the size of the marquee. I can't find anything similar in Affinity Photo, am I missing something or is there a different way to do the same task in AP? 

you could copy the marquee'd area to the clipboard and use File > New from clipboard.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

you could copy the marquee'd area to the clipboard and use File > New from clipboard.

Not if you're editing a multi-layer document.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

24 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

As verysame mentioned, that won't work if I want to crop a multi-layer canvas. Also, if the background is transparent, this method ignores the areas with no pixels and I get a canvas size that will fit the image, but isn't the same size as the marquee selection.

If I want a very precise cropping, what I do (and it's time consuming) is to draw a rectangle above the area I want to cover, and after that, I use the Crop Tool and use the rectangle as a guide.

Best regards!

Why not just use the Crop Tool from the very beginning? Why make things complicated?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Why not just use the Crop Tool from the very beginning? Why make things complicated?

With a shape you could use snapping, for example, something that someone requested before.

Best regards!

18 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

With a shape you could use snapping, for example, something that someone requested before.

Best regards!

Or, in PS I can select the content of a layer and crop that.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

9 minutes ago, verysame said:

Or, in PS I can select the content of a layer and crop that.

That could be a really quick way to do that, for sure.

Best regards!

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

If I want a very precise cropping, what I do (and it's time consuming) is to draw a rectangle above the area I want to cover, and after that, I use the Crop Tool and use the rectangle as a guide.

Best regards!

Why not just drag everything inside the rectangle and then go Document > Clip Canvas ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

Why not just drag everything inside the rectangle and then go Document > Clip Canvas ?

I didn't know that function existed in the first place. Thanks for mentioning it.

Best regards!

17 hours ago, toltec said:

I Initially thought this would be the solution, too, but then I tried the Clip Canvas option and have no idea how it decided to clip the canvas where it did. It completely ignored the marquee box. Here's what I started with: 

1343472686_ScreenShot2018-10-09at9_32_50AM.png.6638a6b8ed64faa198fd9ae61b96fabd.png

And here's the result after Clip Canvas: 

648262846_ScreenShot2018-10-09at9_33_24AM.png.20df03b1f0d51bee29de044bd498ee60.png

It didn't clip along the marquee at all. Not sure what Clip Canvas is supposed to do or how it works. Choosing "Unclip Canvas" after this did nothing at all. 

@TomHu

Clip to canvas wont work with a marquee box. It only works if you clip the objects inside a rectangle (or shape). Well, as far as this sort of thing goes.

Original image

flower.jpg.a7f313172e7d7de639039504f9bf2d6c.jpg

Rectangle on top

rectangle.jpg.65b8b3eb6395f3a981a43c244194276a.jpg

Image nested inside the rectangle, so the rectangle clips the image.

clipped.jpg.7406e2fd386a08bf1f6edc7dfe405a59.jpg

clipping.jpg.f7fab096b7e7fc37e80f60605687e391.jpg

then Clip Canvas pressed

clippedr.jpg.e1e55e5eaa40ab646ee95441fe8e92b5.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.