You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text wrapping not working

I just began a new file.  Created a text frame.  Checked the Text Frame Studio.  Ignore Text Wrap is checked.  Even though I left it unchecked when I saved the .afpub fiddling file.   So the default position -- at least in the MAC version of v. 140, appears to be the checked position.  Meaning that each time one creates a new file and plans to use an image, one has to go in and uncheck this box.  Never too old to learn new things.   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Or here is an idea!  How about a little brain in the software which understands that when one clicks on the Show Text Wrap Settings (in the toolbar) that one wants to have Ignore Text Wraps unchecked in the Text Frame panel.   That way, one could then just adjust the wrap settings for the chosen wraps selection and they would show up in the document.   Voilà!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

2 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

So the default position -- at least in the MAC version of v. 140, appears to be the checked position.

It would be useful to have someone else confirm that on a Mac :)

It's not that I doubt you, but

1. It's an unlikely default for Serif to have chosen; and
  2. It's possible that you had a text frame with that option active when you last told Publisher to set its defaults (Edit > Defaults > Save).

(In fact, if you're willing to experiment, you might try Edit > Defaults > Revert (or even, though I have less idea what it should do, Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset), and then see if that's still the default for your text frames.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Great idea in theory, but it didn't work.  Edit>Defaults>Revert was entered.  The file was saved.  The file was reopened.  There is the click mark on Ignore Text Wraps.  Just the way it is when I open a new file.   Hopefully the Affinities will be able to figure this one out.   Perhaps my version of 140 is just sick of Peter Piper and the pickled peppers.

42 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

So the default position -- at least in the MAC version of v. 140, appears to be the checked position.

Correct.

44 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Meaning that each time one creates a new file and plans to use an image, one has to go in and uncheck this box.

I will put text over a colour, an image etc quite frequently so for  me I would say it is about 50/50.  The last used setting was saved with a file but no amount of fiddling would get the unchecked be the default for a new file.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Correct.

I will put text over a colour, an image etc quite frequently so for  me I would say it is about 50/50.  The last used setting was saved with a file but no amount of fiddling would get the unchecked be the default for a new file.

Thank you so much!   I was beginning to think that I had lost my mind.   All brain cells present and accounted for after all.  

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Great idea in theory, but it didn't work.  Edit>Defaults>Revert was entered.  The file was saved.  The file was reopened.  There is the click mark on Ignore Text Wraps.  Just the way it is when I open a new file.   Hopefully the Affinities will be able to figure this one out.   Perhaps my version of 140 is just sick of Peter Piper and the pickled peppers.

You would have needed to Revert the settings and then create a new file to test my theory. But it sounds like Old Bruce has confirmed it. That's a terrible default, and perhaps a bug in its own right.

Edit: But I do like your idea of Edit Text Wraps overriding it automatically.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/9/2018 at 6:24 PM, jmwellborn said:

Or here is an idea!  How about a little brain in the software which understands that when one clicks on the Show Text Wrap Settings (in the toolbar) that one wants to have Ignore Text Wraps unchecked in the Text Frame panel.   That way, one could then just adjust the wrap settings for the chosen wraps selection and they would show up in the document.   Voilà!!!

There's a bug with the default Ignore Text Wraps setting. It was never supposed to be on by default. We'll fix in a future beta.

Changing the setting automatically would not be right, because the object whose text wrap settings you are editing is different to the object you want to wrap around it. It shouldn't be necessary when the Ignore setting has the right default.

1 hour ago, Dave Harris said:

There's a bug with the default Ignore Text Wraps setting. It was never supposed to be on by default. We'll fix in a future beta.

I just checked with the .145 update, and it seems that after making an new document the default is off. or am I just deluding myself. Is .145 the 'future beta'? I see it is listed as fixed in Windows but I am on Mac. Sorry if this is incoherent, I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

25 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I just checked with the .145 update, and it seems that after making an new document the default is off. or am I just deluding myself. Is .145 the 'future beta'? I see it is listed as fixed in Windows but I am on Mac. Sorry if this is incoherent, I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Sorry, no: the fix didn't make 145. It will be in .146 and later.

4 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Changing the setting automatically would not be right, because the object whose text wrap settings you are editing is different to the object you want to wrap around it. It shouldn't be necessary when the Ignore setting has the right default.

Thank you!!!   I am so glad that this will be fixed in a future beta.   Meanwhile, "patience is a virtue."  As usual, you Affinities are splendid!   Gentlemen and ladies par excellance! 

3 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Sorry, no: the fix didn't make 145. It will be in .146 and later.

I noticed once I was more awake. Thanks anyway for the other stuff.

• 1 year later...

Ran into the same problem today, text wrap setting just didn‘t work.

Text wrap of placed AfPhoto file set to ‘Jump’; “Ignore Text Wrap’ in text frame settings off.

The other placed AfPhoto file with same text wrap settings on the same page wrapped jus fine.

The solution I found is to just click Text > Text Wrap > Edit Wrap Outline in the menu and text wrapping jumped to the desired shape.

Can't explain what happened, but I‘m glad it did.

That's beta 1.8.4.561 meanwhile.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I too was struggling with the same issue, being relatively new to Affinity Publisher. 

The below steps solved the issue for me: 

1. Select the image within the text frame.
  2. Uncheck "Inline in Text" from the Layer Menu.

See screenshot.

Uncheck_Inline_in_text_make_text_wrap_work.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.