You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Objects Without Canvas

In Designer there's an item "Area: Whole Document" for exporting. The point is always inactive, no matter what choice I make. So what's this for?
I have an idea: For PDF export "objects" would be great, then you would have placed e.g. with the import in QuarkXPress marginal, Objects 0, 0 - without canvas :)

31 minutes ago, tersmuse said:

In Designer there's an item "Area: Whole Document" for exporting. The point is always inactive, no matter what choice I make. So what's this for?
I have an idea: For PDF export "objects" would be great, then you would have placed e.g. with the import in QuarkXPress marginal, Objects 0, 0 - without canvas :)

If you have a layer selected, you can export just the Layer.

selection.jpg.014b7c16f7e73073246394ab9d1c9038.jpg

With or without background affects non rectangular layers.

Without background exports just the shape, leaving a transparent background. If the file supports it, like PNG files.

With background includes the bit of background behind the shape (rectangular canvas).

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 10 months later...

Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404

Can't export a group placed out of the canvas. My canvas is smaller than the selection i'm exporting.

Exporting to PNG. If I select "Selection with background" then the proposed dimension is 0px by 0px. Sounds ok.

If I "Selection without background" then the dimension is real (some 900px by 1300px) but the Estimated file size is about 5 kilos.

If I move the group over the canvas then the estimated size flies up (even with the smaller-than-the-selection canvas) 340+ kilobytes.

So, If I export the selection hovering the canvas I get only the part of it copped by that canvas.

If I export the selection outside the canvas then I get just nothing weighing 5 kilos with pixel dimension of the selection.

43 minutes ago, stain said:

There is another issue, not a reply to the original post.

In that case, it might have been better to create a new thread instead of replying to the original post! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)