You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

behavior of text frames

hi,

duplicating a master page in publisher includes duplicating the behavior of the text frames on that master page, i experienced. the situation: a master page with a photo frame, a text frame and a page number. it's a right page, text frame and page number aligned to the right. now i duplicate the master page, alight the text frame and the page number to the left. but on the original master page the same happens. the text frames of both pages seem to be corresponding in some way. my work-around is creating a new page and placing new image and text frames mirroring the first master page. but that is rather laborious.

anyone else experienced the same problem? or is the behavior of the frames done on purpose? why?

regards,

jan van de ven

I am not seeing this at all. Are these pages single page spreads or double page spreads?  didn't see it on Singles or Doubles.  Are you moving the Text Frames to the left? What version of Affinity Publisher are you using? I have .140 on Mac 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am not seeing this at all. Are these pages single page spreads or double page spreads?  didn't see it on Singles or Doubles.  Are you moving the Text Frames to the left? What version of Affinity Publisher are you using? I have .140 on Mac 

i'm using the same version on my imac.

i just made a new book. exactly the way i did before. but now i can't seem to be alble to reproduce the problem. everything works as it should.

my mistake, i presume.

my apologies for bringing this up.

case closed, i hope.

and yet...
here i'll attach the document that causes the problem - and still does. it's named testbook-a4.afpub. i saved the history with it. i was able to retrieve it from my time machine.
as i send it, the right master page (rechts) is as it should be.
now double click the left page (links). you see the text frame and page number frame too far to the right. try to correct this by aligning them to the left of the photo frame. oké?
now double click the right master frame again. and what do you see? both text frames have moved in the same way you moved the frames of the other master page.
try to change the text in one of the frames and you'll see the same change in the frames of the other page.
i'm not sure if this is caused bij some mistake i made, but i really don't know what mistake that might be.

the problem doesn't occur with picture frames.

testbook-a4.afpub

40 minutes ago, illusie said:

try to change the text in one of the frames and you'll see the same change in the frames of the other page.

I'll look at it, but don't hold your breath waiting for a reply, must be something you did if you couldn't replicate the behaviour in a new document.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Somehow these text frames behave like symbols. At least, they are marked as symbols in the layers list, and I assume this has to do with duplicating the master page. However, I cannot reproduce this independently. :(

Symbols.png.8c7a74c55e53bd2d90ae0a5726589cac.png

It is in the actual text frame. I was unable to duplicate the behaviour unless I copied and pasted a text frame from your original top master page. This should not happen, the only other thing I noticed was that If I made a couple of Paragraph Styles Right Justified and Left Justified your text frames would change in lock step. This didn't happen with the Master Pages I made. If you made a mistake with only three elements on a Master Page it was that you let a cat walk over your keyboard when you weren't looking.

I think the file somehow got corrupted, I sure wouldn't expect this sort of behaviour because it would cause all sorts of problems.

I Vote for it to be a bug because if it happens once it can happen again.

13 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Somehow these text frames behave like symbols

Good catch! I bet that is it, a cat snuck in and turned them into symbols.  If I duplicate it on the page the duplicate is not a symbol but copy paste is symbol from symbol

HI illusie

It would be interesting to know exactly how you went about creating these. There normally wouldn't by symbols so have you copied them from another document where they were part of a symbol of if you converted them at some point then detached them

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

27 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

It would be interesting to know exactly how you went about creating these. There normally wouldn't by symbols so have you copied them from another document where they were part of a symbol of if you converted them at some point then detached them

i'm sorry, Chris_K, but i really don't know. in the above attachment i saved the history, but it's not the complete history. what i did wrong, i must have done wrong in an earlier stage. until now i wasn't even aware of the use of symbols in affinity publisher. seems to be a powerful tool though. who knows, my cat did step on the keyboard of my imac when i looked the other way, as was suggested earlier in this thread.

after detaching the text fields as symbols, the problem seems to be solved, but i can't get rid of the orange lines next to the text fields in the layers. don't they show the text layers still are behaving as symbols?

IMG_7348.JPG

o, o,

next problem. after detaching the text layers, i can't save the file any longer. after closing it without saving and double-clicking it, it can no longer be opened in affinity publisher. see the attached screenshots of the warning messages.

you might try this yourself unsing the file 'testbook-a4.afpub' i uploaded earlier in this thread.

what exactly did i do with this file?

after opening i selected the right master page (called 'rechts')

i selected both text frames in the layers tab and clicked 'detach' in the symbols tab.

i did the same with the second master page (called 'links').

then i did a cmd-s to save the file and i got the message 'failed to save', after which reopening the file was impossible (and of course it was not already open in another application)

and eh... after that 'save as' doesn't work either.

• in the meantime i've set up a new document and tried all the things that might have occurred to the text fields (i.e. switching to symbols and back) and saving the document without any problems. so i think the file 'testbook-a4.afpub' must have been corrupted in one way or the other and i'm afraid we'll never fint out what caused this corruption.

failedtosavedocument.png

failedtoopenfile.png

4 hours ago, illusie said:

i'm afraid we'll never fint out what caused this corruption.

How about we all pretend this never happened?

bye the way, when you say 'detaching the text layers' do you mean delete because I could delete the text layers from the Master Pages and save the document.

no, i meant what i said. but it's all rather complicated and there's this language barrier...

let's call it a day and - following your advise - pretend it never happened, though that means i have to apologize for bringing up the problem in the first place.

At this point it is best to avoid putting anything on a Master Page that is supposed to have different content on some document pages. Reserve Master Pages for static information, as the Tutorial suggests.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, illusie said:

… though that means i have to apologize for bringing up the problem in the first place.

No, certainly not. This was too weird an issue not to report it, even if there was no explanation in the end. :)

5 hours ago, illusie said:

that means i have to apologize for bringing up the problem in the first place.

No.

49 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

This was too weird an issue not to report it,

+ 1

Almost worth awarding an Internets. Ah what the hell, illusie gets an internets.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.