You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lens Correction for Samsung Note8

Just purchases and installed Affinity Photo on Windows 10.  I take a lot of pics (in raw) with my Samsung Note8 (Model SM-N950U) which I don't see on the list of supported lenses for lens correction.

Is this true, or is the list just outdated?

Thanks.

• Staff

Hi djMot,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately the Samsung Note 8 isn't currently a supported RAW camera, nor do we support automatic lens corrections. 

This may be added as a supported camera in a future update, but I can unfortunately offer no guarantees. In the meantime I'll move this thread to our feature requests section of the forums for our devs to see and consider adding!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for the welcome.

Odd.  This is a flagship Android device and arguably considered the best phone on the market at release and all the way up to the current Note9 release.  But, looking back, I see most of the current iPhones are not supported either.  Or other Android flagships like the Pixel/Pixel XL that have (again arguably) the best Android camera available.  This seems like a major oversight to me.  

You say you do not support automatic lens corrections.  So what does it mean in the Develop Assistant when the setting "Apply lens corrections" is selected?  I've seen a few YouTube videos that seem to state what you say, then say, "Oops, I was wrong - it does support automatic lens correction."  Which is it?

Does Serif have a video training with suggestions and best practices for manual lens corrections?

• Staff
1 minute ago, djMot said:

This seems like a major oversight to me.  

We use the dcRAW & libRAW databases for our RAW engine, meaning we only support images that are supported by these codebases. Currently the Note 8 is not on either list, so we do not support it in Affinity. If this is added to the list in the future, we may update our RAW engine with the latest version of the respective codebase.

My apologies, my response was badly worded in regards to automatic lens correction. Affinity does support automatic lens correction, using the lensfun database, which is the option you're referring to in the Develop Assistant. I was referring to the Note 8 only in my response, which is not supported.

We don't have any official tutorials for this, as the method and results can vary by camera and by the desired outcome. I've had a quick google search and I can't find anything Affinity specific, however most other tutorials should suit you fine as lens correction is pretty standard across platforms, such as Photoshop.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Okay, I think what you are saying is that I just paid for a program that does not support my camera.  At all.  At least not in RAW mode, which was the main reason I bought the program in the first place.  Is that correct?

• Staff

Unfortunately so currently, Affinity may be able to open the RAWs, but we can't guarantee the colours will be correctly interpreted as it's not a supported camera.

Please note -

Many thanks!