You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printer's Dialogue box ignored/nulled by affinity?

Having spent 2 hours and 35 pages and searching for affinity tutorials on the print dialogue box and  trying to get double sided printing I have to post.  From windows 10 using an HP  colour laser printer that has duplex functionality - I checked doc set up, tried various combinations on my printer and the affinity print dialogue but to no avail.  Then I noticed that everytime i set the printer dialogue box from "properties" and returned to the affinity print dialogue box and then checked the printer dialogue its "Print double sided" setting was turned back off. 

What I can not seem to find in any affinity  tutorial are the following:

1. Should I be setting something in the "Model" "drop down menu"

2.Should there be something specific I should set in the "double sided" drop down menu

3.Just as a by note to spoil your day, but I also norticed tat despite having A4 set in paper size the dimensions at the bottom of the print dialogue box did showsomething silly like 69cm x 98 cm or something like that, though when I accessed this drop down menu and just selected A4 again the correct measure ments did show, no big deal.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Capture.PNG.d8e7aa905d3c6168aed925be31af5c3d.PNGCapture2.PNG.626e56be0b3b9f2d444d10670819fd9b.PNGCapture3.PNG.a140663d0fb5c0c539d7199e33cbf0ca.PNG

PROBLEM SOLVED 7 HOURS AND 50 SHEETS OP PAPER LATER  Please see screenshot, the offending problem lay with Affinity's Preview panel in its Print dialogue box.  You see everytime I had settings the preview panel showed the correct alignment the correct number of spreads and the correct orientation.  HOWEVER, most other attempts overlaid the preview with a red box, indicating something was wrong.  I changed a single setting:  Model = Single;   and printed wonderfully, BUT the preview is totally incorrect and gives one the impression that you are printing 4 Seperate A4 Portrait orientations which I was not,  I was printing Lanscape two spreads (4 x A5).  This particular orientation I was trying to print always showed on the preview panel but  printed consistently incorrectly.  For whatever reason, maybe I need to understnd affinity's reasoning, but the preview panel is a little deceptive, and the wording, by the double sided drop down box is something I do not understand, single sided?  Not to mention that Model I do not understand either.   Affinity is a great programme, and I am sure the developers are doing a wonderful job, congratulations, and for many reasons l wish to stick with affinity and purchase the Photoshop equivalent if this particular software goes well.

.Capture6.PNG.a3fd38de5b1df51f32500d7c3075ecfa.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi @Chris26

Thanks for your post :)

We are aware of some UI issues in the print dialogue, specifically the double sided setting not matching printer properties and this has been logged with the developers to be fixed in a future update. 

15 hours ago, Chris26 said:

most other attempts overlaid the preview with a red box, indicating something was wrong

With regards to the red overlay you can see in the Print Preview, you can change the Fit Type to fit or shrink to printable or alternatively adjust the scaling percentage to make document that are bigger than the printer's size fit. 

I hope this helps!

Hallo J ? Fisher, John, jack, Jeronimo?  So appreciate the reply, and fully understand. Would you be able to spare a minute to explain the Model Dialogue box, I have never come accross this before.  many appreciations, Chris.