You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing white background

• Staff

R C-R,
The process I mentioned above was intended to show another method to quickly remove white. Like other things it depends a lot on the type of the image we are working with and it may require further manipulation. In this case it leaves a white fringe which I forgot to check. Photoshop has some tools/commands to deal with this directly unfortunately Affinity doesn't and while checking/fixing it I end up stuck with a problem I wasn't expecting. Still have to take another look at it.

The attached file uses the Erase White Paper process after preparing the original image with a mask to avoid the semi-transparency issue. It doesn't have white fringes, halos or colour shifts.

MEB_remove_white.afphoto

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

The attached file uses the Erase White Paper process after preparing the original image with a mask to avoid the semi-transparency issue. It doesn't have white fringes, halos or colour shifts.

Just curious but how did you create the mask & how did you manage to avoid excluding most of the anti-aliased edges responsible for the white fringing? I noticed that if I change the color of the background rectangle to (for example) a bright red, or select partially transparent pixels on the Background layer, there are still some edge effects that suggest this would not always be suitable for every use where completely clean edges are needed.

(To avoid any misunderstanding, I am not being critical of this method. I just wonder if there is any method that doesn't require a lot of effort to get edges with no transparency & anti-aliasing that would work well against any background.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Iztok said:

do it better Affinity

How do you suggest they do it "better"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, Iztok said:

most things are super, maby colours is cofuzing complicate with no rison, and i missed vectorize photo and feather command

Colors are inherently confusing because among other reasons there are so many ways they can be specified (like in CMYK, RGB, or HSL values), & there are millions of them that can be specified, not all of which actually are possible.

A vectorize (tracing) function has long been requested but the staff have explained that unless/until the developers can provide some method that is better than what is available in other apps or online, it remains a very low priority.

As for feathering, 'marching ants' selections can be featured feathered & there are various other ways to create feather-like effects, so I'm not sure what you want in that respect.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

As for feathering, 'marching ants' selections can be featured

*feathered

Ah, good ol’ autocarrot! :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Ah, good ol’ autocarrot!

TBH, I just typed the wrong word all by myself, with no automatic 'assistance.' 

Affinity Photo 

May I say this sistem of add global colour is rely nonsense

I have in swathes add a green colour for example, then i go to add global colour, pannel appear, but colour is black(basic), not green, then i go with colour picker to set a my green colour, but if I don' select green dot near picker, global colour is basic in my case black, this are tree steps to get global colour and when I am in swathes I don't know which colour is RGB and which CMYK or else. Colours are realy not logical and simple, look at InDesign much better logic

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 14.10.44.png

I have pallete on second monitor and I select one photo and clck Photo persona, first in photo persona i like to increas resolution of image, but I cant and I have no option to Yust right clik and command open in Affinity photo, second when I go to photo persona and back to Publisher all may palette was all over the main monitor, so I suggest that I could castumizen position of palette and save it not only one as many as I like, second, or on assests or linked panel command to open photo direct in Affinity Photo not just option Photo P.ersona, which is also great but not for all 

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 08.59.13.png

1 hour ago, Iztok said:

I suggest that I could castumizen position of palette and save it not only one as many as I like

Many of us would find it very useful to have a collection of customized workspace layouts to choose from.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As for feathering, 'marching ants' selections can be featured feathered & there are various other ways to create feather-like effects, so I'm not sure what you want in that respect.

For feathered you need now create mask, ho to gassian blur, so ig you have 20 photos you need to do with everyone or copy mask to each leyer

Friendly for user is select picture or more pictures then command feather,  then option steps of feather, why not simplier?

I also want to know why clipping path isn't in Affinity it is very useful, if you have hundred of photos in jpeg quicker and less space.