You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setup Failed installation message

Hi, Lee. Thank you for replying.

The Affinty Photo file size is 307,886 KB. Version 1.6.5.135.

Laptop specs:

HP Envyx360, Windows 10

8th gen Intel Core i7-8550U

Processor 1.8GHz

1 TB Hard drive

16GB DDR4 SDRAM

15.6” diagonal Full HD IPS LED Display

HP IR Camera

WLAN & Bluetooth

• Staff

Thanks for confirming the spec of your system. You could try doing a clean boot of Windows, this ensures nothing else running could be interfering or stopping the installation. You can also try creating a new Admin user account in Windows and then running the setup for Affinity Photo after a reboot.

If you have access to another Windows machine you could try the installation as a test.

I've also checked the setup log files and they don't narrow down the cause of the installation issue.

• 11 months later...

hi Lee,

can you help me too ?..I download the affinity photo 1.7.3 and installed, but it said setup failed. I run windows 7 pro, with 2gb ram and 120gb hardisk..old enough I know, but Iam still using it with my affinity designer..I already attach two files from my affinity temp folder..thanks

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

Edited by nonnamanis

7 hours ago, nonnamanis said:

can you help me too ?..I download the affinity photo 1.7.3 and installed, but it said setup failed. I run windows 7 pro, with 2gb ram and 120gb hardisk..old enough I know, but Iam still using it with my affinity designer..I already attach two files from my affinity temp folder..thanks

Setup.log

SetupUI.log

Your logs indicate that the downloaded file is corrupt: Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

First, please rename the installer .exe file you downloaded and save it in case Serif wants to look at it. @Lee D or one of the other staff can provide information on where to upload it if they're interested.

Next, try downloading again and compare the file sizes of the original and new downloads. Then see if the new one works better. If not, you might try downloading with a different browser.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Next, try downloading again and compare the file sizes of the original and new downloads. Then see if the new one works better. If not, you might try downloading with a different browser.

If the downloaded installer file is corrupt or incomplete it won’t have a valid digital signature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Your logs indicate that the downloaded file is corrupt: Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

First, please rename the installer .exe file you downloaded and save it in case Serif wants to look at it. @Lee D or one of the other staff can provide information on where to upload it if they're interested.

thanks walt.farrell..problem solved.

I downloaded again and install it..and everything worked like a charm ....

16 hours ago, Alfred said:

If the downloaded installer file is corrupt or incomplete it won’t have a valid digital signature.

thanks alfred, everything ok right now.. indeed my first installer file didn't have a valid digital signature, so it won't install correctly...

• 6 months later...

For everybody who has this Problem:

Use the ProcessExplorer (procexp64.exe) from the SysinternalsSuite to find out which process blocks the "Photo" folder.

1. Start the ProcessExplorer and search (Cntrl+F) for "photo".

2. Check in the list which process blocks "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo" folder.

3. Exit the program or use ProcessExplorer to kill the process.

Restart setup program, enjoy.

21 minutes ago, slabbi said:

For everybody who has this Problem:

Use the ProcessExplorer (procexp64.exe) from the SysinternalsSuite to find out which process blocks the "Photo" folder.

1. Start the ProcessExplorer and search (Cntrl+F) for "photo".

2. Check in the list which process blocks "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo" folder.

3. Exit the program or use ProcessExplorer to kill the process.

Restart setup program, enjoy.

It sounds like you've had the problem, and resolved it that way. If so, can you tell us what process you had to kill?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Well, it is not always the same process, that's why the problem is so hard to identify.

After windows has been restarted you can usually update Affinity Photo without any problems.

After some time some processes seem to "hijack" the folder (or maybe all folders containing "Photo" or something similar in the name).

On my system it is BrCtrlCntr.exe (Brother ControlCenter 4) in 90% of all cases but not always. On other systems I found other processes in the past.

image.png.2e82ab24ad744ccfb56cb0a898fad4c8.png

The problem with the setup program is, that is removes in a first pass all files (which succeeds), then removes the installation folder ("Photo") and in a second pass installs the new files.

The problem is that removing the folder does not work, instead you will get an error message.

The problem can be solved by Affinity quite simply: Either they do not try to remove the installation folder OR they _try_ to remove the folder and when this fails they ask the user if the certain process should be killed (this is done by several programs because that problem is not so uncommon on windows systems).

Edited by slabbi

• 3 weeks later...

please help me, it is the same case so i tried to reboot method and creating an admin account. and it did run for like 1 sec then stops. 

i did check my task manager but there's no affinity program running, and my laptop met all the requirements needed.

but i can run my affinity designer properly.

19 minutes ago, Kelvin.andrean said:

please help me, it is the same case so i tried to reboot method and creating an admin account. and it did run for like 1 sec then stops. 

i did check my task manager but there's no affinity program running, and my laptop met all the requirements needed.

but i can run my affinity designer properly.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forms, Kelvin.

The suggestions in the FAQ should prove helpful:

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Kelvin.andrean said:

well i was able to complete the setup, but there is no photo.exe file

Providing the Setup.log and SetupUI.log files would be helpful. The FAQ above provides instructions for doing that.

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, Kelvin.andrean said:

Thanks. According to the log the setup failed. I think you should uninstall Photo and try again. Perhaps use the Microsoft Uninstall Troubleshooter mentioned in the Setup Failed FAQ article first.

-- Walt
PC:

• 7 months later...
38 minutes ago, leahjadepenrose said:

Hi, I just downloaded Affinity Photo 1.8.5 and tried to install but every time I do it it says ‘setup failed’. I have read through previous chats and I have done a clean reboot but still not working. Can somebody please help me? 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forum.

What do your setup log files show? (Instructions above.)

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2020 at 5:24 PM, slabbi said:

After some time some processes seem to "hijack" the folder (or maybe all folders containing "Photo" or something similar in the name). On my system it is BrCtrlCntr.exe (Brother ControlCenter 4) in 90% of all cases but not always. On other systems I found other processes in the past.

Many Thanks! - I found it was exactly the same process on my system. I just "closed" the "Brother Control Centre 4" software from the system tray and the installation worked after that (installing Designer 1.9.2 on Win 7 Pro). The "restart" option probably wouldn't help in this case as this app is set to automatically load on boot-up, not that I tested it. It's probably worth closing any auto-start utilities before installation.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

On 5/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, slabbi said:

Well, it is not always the same process, that's why the problem is so hard to identify.

After windows has been restarted you can usually update Affinity Photo without any problems.

After some time some processes seem to "hijack" the folder (or maybe all folders containing "Photo" or something similar in the name).

On my system it is BrCtrlCntr.exe (Brother ControlCenter 4) in 90% of all cases but not always. On other systems I found other processes in the past.

image.png.2e82ab24ad744ccfb56cb0a898fad4c8.png

The problem with the setup program is, that is removes in a first pass all files (which succeeds), then removes the installation folder ("Photo") and in a second pass installs the new files.

The problem is that removing the folder does not work, instead you will get an error message.

The problem can be solved by Affinity quite simply: Either they do not try to remove the installation folder OR they _try_ to remove the folder and when this fails they ask the user if the certain process should be killed (this is done by several programs because that problem is not so uncommon on windows systems).

Thanks - I've added this info to the following post:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've hit a brick wall. Nothing suggested here allows me to install Affinity Photo 1.9.2.  I have been running Affinity Photo since 1.7.8 without issue until recently (February or so), but the update to 1.9.x (to all three programs) resulted in innumerable "Setup Failed" main.cab file corrupted errors.  Initially, rebooting, redownloading and running the installer again resolved the problem and I was able to upgrade all three packages to 1.9.0. When the update to 1.9.1 was offered, I couldn't get any of the three packages to install for love nor money (tried the update route, uninstalled and tried downloading and installing again), and gave up, waited for a month or so, and then downloaded the installers for the latest versions (1.9.2). Designer 1.9.2 and Publisher 1.9.2 eventually installed (after a couple of attempts each). Photo WILL NOT INSTALL no matter what I do. I've downloaded the installer at least 15 times (thank God for unlimited fast broadband) on at least 10 different occasions and with multiple reboots in between. Makes absolutely no difference. I am hoping that the installer for the next release will resolve this for me. As it stands, I've paid for software that I cannot install. As an aside, I'm a bit afraid to allow Designer and Publisher to update when the next update is released...

Running a MS Surface Pro 2017 with 4GB RAM, i5 (7th gen if memory serves correctly) with Windows 10 Pro fully patched and up to date. Malwarebytes Premium handles security (and yes, I have tried disabling it). Event Viewer confirms what the error message reports: 

Product: Affinity Photo -- Error 1335. The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...