You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preparing source files to apply Publisher Styles on import

We mostly work in markdown and google drive for content creation and exclusively use Styles for formatting.  How should we be marking up our styles so that when we bring the text into Publisher it applies the Publisher styles to the corresponding content.  So Body, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Emphasis, Strong, etc. instead of holding onto the Style formatting of the source content?

Why not make your styles inside Publisher? You aren't stuck with "Body", "Heading 1", "Heading 2", "Heading 3", "Emphasis", "Strong". I use my own names because they mean more to me than Heading 1. Emphasis is okay but I want "Bold Small Caps" you may not.

If you have a set of style names already in use just use them in Publisher.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have set up the styles in publisher.  I would prefer not going through 100+pages clearing the styles brought over from the source files and then resetting them to the Publisher styles.  I would like to set a paragraph as Heading 1 in the source file and then when it hits Publisher automatically apply Publisher's Heading 1 style.

59 minutes ago, Tyson of the Northwest said:

I have set up the styles in publisher.  I would prefer not going through 100+pages clearing the styles brought over from the source files and then resetting them to the Publisher styles.  I would like to set a paragraph as Heading 1 in the source file and then when it hits Publisher automatically apply Publisher's Heading 1 style.

That will not happen what you can do is call your Publisher styles "Heading 1 Publisher" and so on and then do a Find and Replace for the imported documents.

53 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I would be great if you could map Word-styles to Publisher styles and make styling automatic that way. I don't know how this is meant to work at the moment and if this is somehow implemented already.

Would be great but subtle differences that accrue would render it useless. And you would probably never be able to update styles in Publisher if you import a document. I have had hassles like this from way back. Two styles with the same name but different fonts, which one will be used and applied. Two programs with different names for leading will break things real good, imports but can't display so there is a crash and that document is now permanently corrupted. Put three people in the supply chain and problems multiply.

Find and replace is our friend here.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:49 PM, Fixx said:

I would be great if you could map Word-styles to Publisher styles and make styling automatic that way. I don't know how this is meant to work at the moment and if this is somehow implemented already.

I tested this, but APub compare each parameter and if there's a difference it'll add Style_a_1, Style_b_1… to the list containing Style_a, Style_b.
A mode where only styles' names are compare would be more usefull, the same way as in ID when you copy-paste from a document with same but older styles: only the ones of the document you paste into,  and the different named ones are used and imported.

For now, there's no option for "replace with…" when you delete a style in use, you need to use "Find and replace".

Using style tags in text documents was a rage when Pagemaker was the in its peak. When InDesign appeared it used style replacement (I at least think that it was meant to be), but it never gained any popularity and I think it was hard to use.

Importing styles from Word to Publisher is a worthless exercise generally IMHO as writers usually use styles most randomly. They are not usable and it is better to get rid of them and style everything in Publisher from a scratch. Exception would be a work flow with dedicated writers who can produce well defined text with right styling and structuring. Then it would make sense to replace imported styles with Publisher styles but I think there is no simple mechanism in Publisher for that. Of course it is possible redefine imported styles but I do not think many will like that.

Search-Replace would be only automated solution for now but I have not looked that mechanism enough yet. Possibly if you can save searches and launch them easily like macros you could automatically style well structured texts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, Alex White said:

This would dramatically improve my workflow (even though there are some people here for whom it evidently wouldn't)

YES! YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!

Not having this feature causes bottlenecks. I have an ongoing project where we have control over the stylesheets in Word such that we can change the names in Word to match what we have set up in Publisher templates. If this was InDesign, we could do a hundred page document in well under a day including manually going through the Publisher document looking for items that formatted poorly for some reason and need to be manually fixed.

Using Publisher, .... I despair.