You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

states of checkboxes

Many checkboxes in the interface have 3 states. See image below. The middle one is commonly used when the actual checkbox is representing an underlying group of checkboxes where all are not in the same state (checked or unchecked). But it looks like even standalone checkboxes have these 3 states. This is strange, isn't it?

checkboxes.png

A Pub beta 1.7.0.140

Where is that one located?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

44 minutes ago, vonBusing said:

The middle one is commonly used when the actual checkbox is representing an underlying group of checkboxes where all are not in the same state (checked or unchecked).

Perhaps we disagree, I think it is the checkbox equivalent of [No Change] regarding inherited values from a based on style. And I too don't recall seeing a Global checkbox before.... Ahh, Bullets and Numbering in Paragraph Styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Where is that one located?

@walt.farrell: @Old Bruce found the answer before I came back:

58 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

[...] Bullets and Numbering in Paragraph Styles.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Perhaps we disagree, I think it is the checkbox equivalent of [No Change] regarding inherited values from a based on style. 

Thanks for this explanation @Old Bruce. In the case of styles were inheritance is a recurring pattern, that makes totally sense. Also, probably, all the occurrences of three states checkboxes that have puzzled me, might have been in the Text Styles dialogues.

20 minutes ago, vonBusing said:

all the occurrences of three states checkboxes that have puzzled me, might have been in the Text Styles dialogues

I would have populated them with popup menus "Off, Inherited, On". This checkbox thing is a fairly elegant solution... 

....If I am right about it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

You are correct, the 3 states are off, inherited form the style it is based on or on. You will find the local versions of these (found on the paragraph panel) only have an on or off. The check boxes with the square in them are also inherited fro the style it is based on

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.