osang

Initial Words in Text Style

Somehow I can't replicate the one I'm using in InDesign's  Nested Style.

From InDesign:

1121719487_textboldindes.png.997bcdc928064ec992f973186c5dae74.png

392700626_textbold-nested.thumb.png.e7043230d5fbf1c945cc4f79d8f4d5e5.png

To A Publisher's Initial Words Text Style:

2107645625_textbold.png.aaafa8404e127d5fe549fb02fd765356.png

1232846114_textbold-initial.thumb.png.6049e6eed3d82f07c106b5d34c3239d0.png

I wish the 'End characters' have another option?

Hi @osang  Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your request (for starters, I've never used InDesign), but you can have multiple End Characters.  I think I saw this demo'ed in one of the original Getting Started videos…  Is that what you mean?

image.png.5ef536349316c9f8758abd9d30b93538.png

—— Gary ——
macOS: 10.13.6
iOS: current release
Photo/Designer/Publisher: current releases

Apub's End Character (Up to & including the end character) is not equal to ID's option of Up to (Up to & not including the Up to character) is not equal.

Instead of APUb's method of a single, mostly worthless option, a drop down of options (not explicitly seen in the ID screen shot) should be how Initial Words work. QXP has similar options as ID, though it does not have Nested Styles. Instead it has a Conditional Style option (different than ID's use of the same term) to achieve the same result as ID's Nested Styles.

My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

9 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @osang  Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your request (for starters, I've never used InDesign), but you can have multiple End Characters.  I think I saw this demo'ed in one of the original Getting Started videos…  Is that what you mean?

image.png.5ef536349316c9f8758abd9d30b93538.png

Nope, adding other characters produced different results. I prefer zero word count and the end character shouldn't be part of the equation.

4 hours ago, osang said:

I prefer zero word count and the end character shouldn't be part of the equation.

+ 1 for this, or better be able to include/exclude the end character with a checkbox.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 | Affinity Photo 1.7.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.2.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.151 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.2.458

1 hour ago, wobmann said:

What's about tabulator as end character? Is \t correct? It doesn't work. Bug? 

Initial Words Paragraph Style option needs some more TLC. :)

13 hours ago, wobmann said:

Is \t correct?

This seems to work as follows:

type the following in the end character field: ", hold option key and hit tab, then type ".
Make sure you have opening quotation marks followed by option tab followed by ending quotation marks.

A bit old thread, but for convenience of other users:

Inserting Zero-Width Space in text where you would like initial words to end and then using it as End character can be useful. You can enter '<ZWSP>' (without quotation marks) in 'end characters' input box. Not ideal, but mostly workable solution.

Alex

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), macOS High Sierra, ATI Radeon HD 4850