You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Initial Words in Text Style

Hi @osang  Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your request (for starters, I've never used InDesign), but you can have multiple End Characters.  I think I saw this demo'ed in one of the original Getting Started videos…  Is that what you mean?

image.png.5ef536349316c9f8758abd9d30b93538.png

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Apub's End Character (Up to & including the end character) is not equal to ID's option of Up to (Up to & not including the Up to character) is not equal.

Instead of APUb's method of a single, mostly worthless option, a drop down of options (not explicitly seen in the ID screen shot) should be how Initial Words work. QXP has similar options as ID, though it does not have Nested Styles. Instead it has a Conditional Style option (different than ID's use of the same term) to achieve the same result as ID's Nested Styles.

9 hours ago, GaryLearnTech said:

Hi @osang  Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your request (for starters, I've never used InDesign), but you can have multiple End Characters.  I think I saw this demo'ed in one of the original Getting Started videos…  Is that what you mean?

image.png.5ef536349316c9f8758abd9d30b93538.png

Nope, adding other characters produced different results. I prefer zero word count and the end character shouldn't be part of the equation.

4 hours ago, osang said:

I prefer zero word count and the end character shouldn't be part of the equation.

+ 1 for this, or better be able to include/exclude the end character with a checkbox.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, wobmann said:

What's about tabulator as end character? Is \t correct? It doesn't work. Bug? 

Initial Words Paragraph Style option needs some more TLC. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 hours ago, wobmann said:

Is \t correct?

This seems to work as follows:

type the following in the end character field: ", hold option key and hit tab, then type ".
Make sure you have opening quotation marks followed by option tab followed by ending quotation marks.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 9 months later...

A bit old thread, but for convenience of other users:

Inserting Zero-Width Space in text where you would like initial words to end and then using it as End character can be useful. You can enter '<ZWSP>' (without quotation marks) in 'end characters' input box. Not ideal, but mostly workable solution.

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)