You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool or fisheye tool?

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Maybe. But I keep it current. It's been my daily driver for a very long time.

For good reasons, yes. But it is ending its career like PageStream. Could have been much more today.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

12 minutes ago, Jowday said:

For good reasons, yes. But it is ending its career like PageStream. Could have been much more today.

Yes. It always could have been a better, fuller application than it is. I blame the Moirs. It seems they got bored at some point. 

But until it does not do my relatively simple needs as fast as it does, I don't need to switch. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HEELLOOOO ????

Is anyone from Affinity EVER looking at what people say in the forum? There have been soo many requests for important features and sooo many suggestion about how to make Affinity apps more professional (specially all the bad GUI behaviour), and NONE of it has ever been addressed by Affinity since it first became officially launched.

AND A DISTORT TOOL for AfDesigner is certainly in the top position. NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT!!

What does this mean? Is Affinity dead already?????? Or are they just waiting for the big check from Adobe????

28 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

HEELLOOOO ????

Hello @Thomahawk,

can I point you to a post by @MEB at the top of this very page. This is a representative of Serif and a proof that the company is monitoring this forum:

In case you did not see it, it has been explained several times that Serif staff only very occasionally responds to suggestions made here in this forum section. It also has been explained that certain features take their time to implement.
Yelling at them using extra big letters does not speed up anything.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, Thomahawk said:

HEELLOOOO ????

Is anyone from Affinity EVER looking at what people say in the forum? There have been soo many requests for important features and sooo many suggestion about how to make Affinity apps more professional (specially all the bad GUI behaviour), and NONE of it has ever been addressed by Affinity since it first became officially launched.

AND A DISTORT TOOL for AfDesigner is certainly in the top position. NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT IT!!

What does this mean? Is Affinity dead already?????? Or are they just waiting for the big check from Adobe????

Right now, I am hoping for the 2.0 update in the future. Probably many of the requested features (not just for the Designer, but also Photo and APub) will be implemented in the 2. generation. It needs to be a big release because we will need to buy a new licence. Also, should not forget the fact, that Affinity is still the first generation software and as it is hard to say, it is not mature yet. Anyway, wish them good luck, even though there are missing features, performance of the apps is stellar and promising :)

marekmati.com

[MAC OS 12.2, MacBook Pro  2017, 15-inch, 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon Pro 560, Intel HD Graphics 630, 500GB SSD + Philips Monitor 4K/60fps 10bit color via DisplayPort to USB-C cable]

Affinity Publisher 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Photo 1.10.5

I think perhaps if it takes too long to implement all these separate features, why not open an API or allow for plug-ins so some other developers out there could extend it? Yes this will take development time itself, but hopefully then can leverage other developers out there

Sure there is some complexity to warp tools, but even if some bits could be release and others later. About to check the beta in the hope something is there.

3 minutes ago, Thurstan said:

About to check the beta in the hope something is there.

Hi @Thurstan,

there is currently no new beta version available. It is most likely that we will see new betas of the upcoming version 1.9.x cycle but it is not known when they become available.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @Thurstan,

there is currently no new beta version available. It is most likely that we will see new betas of the upcoming version 1.9.x cycle but it is not known when they become available.

d.

Odds are that we will be seeing the first Beta available in the next few weeks. Last year we had the 1.8 Beta appear in the last quarter after 1.7 had been released very early in 2019. With 1.8 officially being wrapped up and 1.9 already having lots of teasers earlier in the year, we will for certain be seeing a Beta at least before the year has ended and before Christmas when the devs are away during the holidays (like last year).

What is odd however is that one of the devs all the way back in April said that the 1.9 Beta would be released "within the next few weeks" when he announced several 1.9 features as being confirmed. Now it's been several months since then. Maybe the Corona Virus deal delayed things, or did they change priorities by adding additional patches to the 1.8 series? The 1.8.x releases did bring a lot of nice updates like the vastly improved high precision tablet input APIs, so at least I have high hopes for 1.9.

@Frozen Death Knight I hope you're right about 1.9 beta being around the corner. The china virus pandemic and subsequent working from home has no doubt slowed the progress. What teasers have you found so far? I saw Affinity's version of offset-path demonstrated on twitter more than a year ago, and someone recently mentioned "select-same-as" was also planned for 1.9. Have you seen others?

22 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

@Frozen Death Knight I hope you're right about 1.9 beta being around the corner. The china virus pandemic and subsequent working from home has no doubt slowed the progress. What teasers have you found so far? I saw Affinity's version of offset-path demonstrated on twitter more than a year ago, and someone recently mentioned "select-same-as" was also planned for 1.9. Have you seen others?

Here are some links.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

or did they change priorities by adding additional patches to the 1.8 series?

I agree with your estimation that new betas will arrive in not too long time. But keep in mind that they are working on Publisher on iPad and I assume this takes another big effort.

d.

7 minutes ago, dominik said:

I agree with your estimation that new betas will arrive in not too long time. But keep in mind that they are working on Publisher on iPad and I assume this takes another big effort.

d.

Sure, but based off of what info I have gathered, we will not be seeing a Publisher Beta for iPad when 1.9 arrives. Pretty sure the devs would have said something that confirms Publisher for iPad at this point if they had it ready for open user testing. A 1.10 release is more likely if they manage to solve whatever problems they're having with porting it over by next year.

5 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Sure, but based off of what info I have gathered, we will not be seeing a Publisher Beta for iPad when 1.9 arrives.

Oh, I didn't mean that APup on iPad is part of the 1.9.x cycle. This is something I really don't know. I just think it keeps them quite busy in general and this might be one of the reasons why the next betas may take a little more time to show up. OTOH there are seperate teams per software, if I recall correctly...

d.

• 6 months later...

Happy belated 6th birthday to this feature request!!! 🥳🥳🥳

As much as I love AD, missing features like this make me question the value of continuing to invest my time in this product when other projects like Vector Styler (which I learned about in this thread) have been developed FROM SCRATCH in less time than it takes the Affinity team to add a highly popular requested feature and had tons of other features that AD doesn't have.

I really do want to make AD my only vector design software, but until it has tracing, warp and mesh tools, calligraphy brushes, and scripting, I will be reluctantly using a mishmash of other tools to fill in the gaps, and sooner or later probably switch to one that can suit all of my needs.

15 hours ago, Brian M said:

Happy belated 6th birthday to this feature request!!! 🥳🥳🥳

As much as I love AD, missing features like this make me question the value of continuing to invest my time in this product when other projects like Vector Styler (which I learned about in this thread) have been developed FROM SCRATCH in less time than it takes the Affinity team to add a highly popular requested feature and had tons of other features that AD doesn't have.

I really do want to make AD my only vector design software, but until it has tracing, warp and mesh tools, calligraphy brushes, and scripting, I will be reluctantly using a mishmash of other tools to fill in the gaps, and sooner or later probably switch to one that can suit all of my needs.

for a year, AD is my daily vector design software.. but i have to go back to corel when i need to tracing some objects.. cant wait for AD 2.0 when everything is completed

1 hour ago, B064RT said:

but i have to go back to corel when i need to tracing some objects

This thread is about envelope warping, object-distort, perspective tool and not about tracing. If you feel the need to contribute to this topic then please in the right context:

Thank you.
d.

Hi all. I've been wading through this thread as I too have missed envelope warping/ object-distort / perspective since I left AI for AD, and while I wait for those hard working engineers at Serif to implement these features into this fine program, I have been trying every other possible work around I come across. I found this today and though it may have been shared before, I'll post it here: www.photopea.com

It's an online tool for editing PSD, XCF, Sketch and CDR formats, but I opened up an SVG file and had little trouble warping it as i saw fit. Not a solution, I know, but it works -today.

Thank you,

Joe 

• 2 months later...

I'm now using VectorStyler as a kind of plug-in to cover vector distortions and a few other things missing from Designer - Tried doing a job in Big Sur (after OpenCoreing my 2009 Mac Pro) and Affinity and VS work great together, once the affinity clipboard gets fixed, it will be a really productive (non-Adobe) workaround, until we get the real deal in Affinity - also used Packzview to view colour separations, which works great in Big Sur (always bombs in Mojave).... Almost feeling positive

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I dont quite get this.. since Affinity designer comes from the legacy product Draw Plus.. and Draw Plus does have envelope distortions.. why isn't this feature inherited from Draw Plus legacy software?!? I have the Draw Plus.. but i shouldn't need it.. 

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Joao Silva said:

since Affinity designer comes from the legacy product Draw Plus

I see why this could be thought, but there is no shared code, no shared tools, no shared architecture, so it all needs writing from first principles. The team are some of the same people but it needs doing from scratch in a way that fits with the new architecture while maintaining draw speed, and with a view to all the exported vector formats. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon